Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is complicated by the fact the computer in question operates in spanish, and i don't know what the corresponding error in english would say. But we can't sign in to a google account on that computer. Firefox, chrome, and i.e. all put up warning screens. The one for firefox says in spanish, 'connexion no esta verificada'. It says you've asked firefox to make a secure connection to www.google.com, but the security of the connection cannot be confirmed. It says someone could be trying to supplant the site, and recommends not continuing.

We are scanning with eset. I tried removing gmail notifier, that didn't help. There is an option in firefox to continue despite the warning, but we chose not to do that. We've gone into the google account normally accessed on that computer and changed it's password.

What's going on here? Any thoughts?
thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update - the scan with eset turned up no less than 5 suspicious files, related to a Mexico version of warcraft our nephew plays. However, after deleting those, the problem continued. We uninstalled Eset and installed Avast, and scanned again. That turned up another problem file, which was also deleted. Problem continued. We reinstalled Firefox, that didn't help. Next step is to reinstall XP, we need to do a fair bit of backing up first. But I would like to know what is happening. I'll try to look more for information on this error.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, now none of the browsers will access other password-protected pages either - on MercadoLibre, for example (Mexico's eBay).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IE puts up a warning page saying there is a problem with the security certificate of the website. The address bar shows 'http://www.google.com/accounts'. If I tell it to take me to the site anyhow, the address bar shows the above, with /ServiceLogin?passive=1209600&continue=...etc, etc - what I believe indicates it is the genuine site. But I don't know what to make of this whole thing. So we don't really want to login on that machine under these conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.