Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a weird problem.

I can sometimes not connect to certain websites, like Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Youtube, Gmail, etc. This only happens on ethernet, and happens on multiple devices. It also happens when plugged directly into the router. During these periods where I can't connect, my internet still works on these devices, just not for browsing webpages specifically. So, I can still play games fine, message people through various apps, stream content (if I already have the page loaded), etc.

I have contacted my ISP (Verizon) and they can't see any problems on their end. They gave me a replacement router but I still have the same problem. They sent out a tech but he couldn't identify a problem either. The only firewall I have installed on my devices is Windows Defender, and the problem persists even if I disable it. Ping tests via command prompt work fine.

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,774 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've run through everything mentioned in that article already. The only error messages I get are that I'm not connected to the internet (but I clearly am because other apps that require the internet work fine)

33,774 Posts
If you ever had 3rd party AV/firewall on this computer, go back and get rid of all remnants.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,606 Posts
Do other devices, Smart Phones, Smart TV, Tablets etc have the same problem? If so, then there is still an issue with your iSP. if this is the the only device that has a problem, and you have replaced your router and done a fresh install of Windows and are still having the problem, then it is a hardware issue with the Ethernet cable or your Ethernet jack on the motherboard. You can get a PCIe Ethernet card or a Wireless Adapter.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Devices on WiFi, including my laptop, do not have the problem. Devices on ethernet, including the same laptop as earlier, have the problem. I have two desktops that are always on ethernet, and a laptop that can use either. Ive connected the laptop directly to the router with several different new ethernet cables and all of them had the problem. I actually brought a desktop to the router and set it up directly and still had the problem.

33,774 Posts
In addition to the possible Ethernet hardware checks Spunk mentioned, try updating PCI drivers

· Global Moderator
44,606 Posts
Is your Router a combo device (ie) Modem/Router or are the two different devices? If separate devices, plug the computers directly into the modem. by passing the router. If that works, ditch the ISP's router and buy your own,

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In addition to the possible Ethernet hardware checks Spunk mentioned, try updating PCI drivers
All PCI Drivers look like they're up to date, but is it normal to have this many things labelled PCI?

Font Parallel Number Pattern Screenshot

Is your Router a combo device (ie) Modem/Router or are the two different devices? If separate devices, plug the computers directly into the modem. by passing the router. If that works, ditch the ISP's router and buy your own,
I believe it's a combo, this is the router I have I believe https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-router/

· Global Moderator
44,606 Posts
Are you plugging your Ethernet cable into the back of the computer next to the USB ports on the motherboard? or are you using a PCIe Ethernet card? If plugging directly into the Motherboard port, the Device you are looking for is not PCI, it would be under Network Adapters and it might be RealTek Family Controller or some such. You would update the driver by going to your Computer or Motherboard manufacturers web site, type in your Make and Model # and download the LAN Ethernet driver. If this keeps happening, I would try a PCIe Ethernet card Which you can get on Ebay. Or try a different Router/Modem, or better yet, get a new ISP.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you plugging your Ethernet cable into the back of the computer next to the USB ports on the motherboard? or are you using a PCIe Ethernet card? If plugging directly into the Motherboard port, the Device you are looking for is not PCI, it would be under Network Adapters and it might be RealTek Family Controller or some such. You would update the driver by going to your Computer or Motherboard manufacturers web site, type in your Make and Model # and download the LAN Ethernet driver. If this keeps happening, I would try a PCIe Ethernet card Which you can get on Ebay. Or try a different Router/Modem, or better yet, get a new ISP.
Those were all also up to date. I will try to get a PCIe Ethernet card, but this computer was working fine at several other places on ethernet. Also, the internet at my current house worked fine for a couple months before these problems started. Unfortunately can't get a new ISP for several months. I'll also try to get my own router/modem. I'll update when the PCIe ethernet card comes.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New router came in (thank you amazon prime) but didn't fix my problem. It did however make it so ping tests would randomly time out every few minutes for a few seconds. Might just try and hire an expert to come and look at my setup to see if they can identify anything I missed.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I have a weird problem.

I can sometimes not connect to certain websites, like Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Youtube, Gmail, etc. This only happens on ethernet, and happens on multiple devices. It also happens when plugged directly into the router. During these periods where I can't connect, my internet still works on these devices, just not for browsing webpages specifically. So, I can still play games fine, message people through various apps, stream content (if I already have the page loaded), etc.

I have contacted my ISP (Verizon) and they can't see any problems on their end. They gave me a replacement router but I still have the same problem. They sent out a tech but he couldn't identify a problem either. The only firewall I have installed on my devices is Windows Defender, and the problem persists even if I disable it. Ping tests via command prompt work fine.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Talked to a tech who said he's gotten this problem with a few other clients now and wasn't able to solve it. He recommended trying an older version of Windows, which I did and it did not work. Also recommended seeing if a usb-ethernet port would work, I'm going to try that next when it comes in, but kind of doubtful. He also mentioned that the other people also claimed the problem started in the past 2-4 weeks, and that their ISP is Verizon. Not sure what to do with that information except contact other ISPs in my area and find out when they'll be ready to start service.

33,774 Posts
You have to get through to Verizon 2nd level support internally called Tier2. They have expertise whereas the first level just follows a manual.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.