Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a Brother HL2170W wireless printer that's having some issues. Here's my setup:

-Printer wired via ethernet cable to Cisco wireless router (setting up wirelessly failed so I plugged it into the router).

-Netbook A (Windows 7) has printer installed and Cisco network software installed.

-Netbook B (Windows XP) has printer installed but does not have Cisco network software installed. It is connected to the network, however.

Printing from Netbook A works flawlessly. It's Netbook B that's got 2 issues:

1. When Netbook A is in sleep mode, off, or otherwise disconnected from the network, I cannot print from Netbook B at all. The printer is shown as online, but when I try to print it says that it can't find the printer. When Netbook A is on and connected to the network, I can usually print from Netbook B.

2. Sometimes, even when Netbook A is on and connected, I cannot print from Netbook B; not even a test page. When I try to print, the print job is put in the queue, but it just sits there. I've tried restarting the print job from both computers, I've tried restarting my computer, restarting the printer, restarting the wireless router, and nothing works. The only thing that does work is restarting Netbook A. After I restart Netbook A, I can print again for a period of time, and then it will inevitably happen again a day or two later.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Hi,

It sounds like netbook B is sending printjobs using shared printer drivers from netbook A. Try to add a new printer on netbook B by going to the add printer wizard from devices and printers in control panel. Make sure you select Network printer and make sure that the protocol is TCP/IP, not file/printer sharing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I deleted the printer and tried reinstalling it as you said, however after finding the printer on the network (listed as being under Netbook A), I was simply prompted with a warning that said "you are connecting to a network printer that will automatically install drivers" and warned me about possible viruses, etc., so I clicked "ok", and the printer was back up. It didn't give me an option for TCP/IP (or file/printer sharing).

Looking in the printer's properties, under the "ports" tab, it is listed as being a WSD port. Also, it appears that back when I originally installed the drivers, I installed it on Netbook A and enabled sharing prior to installing the drivers on Netbook B. Perhaps if I un-share it on Netbook A and reinstall the drivers it might work? It seems that I may have installed it as Netbook A's printer rather than a standalone network printer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.