Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, today when i went to turn my pc on i knoked it and it fell on its side, i stood it up and turned it on it loads to a screen saying.....
boot in 'Normal Mode' 'Safe Mode' or 'The last knows setting that worked'
when ever i press any of these the computer just turns off straight away, also if i access the bios it does the same..
What could this be (everything looks in place)
any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
Plug all cables back in (this probably wont be the source of the problem, but should rule it out). So am i right in saying it turns off as soon as a button is pressed as said above and/or you go into BIOS? That's a pretty weird problem, something i've never heard of or came across. I hope someone else can be of more help.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You most likely knocked a component out of it's socket, or unplugged something inadvertently when you knocked it over.

It almost sounds like an overheat, so you might have jarred the heatsink loose off the CPU. When the heatsink isn't attached properly, the CPU heats up very quickly and will shut down the computer to protect itself.

Open the computer case, and make sure all the expansion cards and RAM are properly seated and tight. You might have to take them out, and re-seat them for a good contact. Make sure all data and power cables are still connected securely.

Lastly, grab ahold of the heatsink and fan on top of the CPU (biggest one, can't miss it) and give it a gentle wiggle. If it moves, it'll have to be taken off and re-done. If it doesn't move, then it's seated properly and you have another issue.

Let us know what you find!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Did you open it up and check everything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything seemed okay was going to take it apart and rebuild it again however... when i looked inside 2 of the 4 cpu heatsink pins (standard intel fan) where not in properly they are pretty hard to get in so i left them could this realy cause the cpu to turn off after like 15-20 seconds?

·
Mentally divergent
1,341 Posts
I hate those OEM Intel heatsink/fan mount thingies. I'll never forget my first one. I thought the motherboard was going to bust in two or the screwdriver was gonna slip off the post and impale something before the kid at the PC repair shop finally leaned on 'em hard enough to twist the little monsters into place.

Part of the problem was the thick thermal pad that comes stock on the heatsink. If you clean that pad off with some 99% alcohol and spread a thin layer of Arctic Silver or some other good quality thermal paste, the clips aren't so hard to set. That's because the thin layer of thermal paste doesn't take up as much room as the original pad. The OEM pad will partially melt and thin out some after use, but that doesn't help you any with the first install.

You might be tempted to just reset the heatsink mounting posts. That would not be advisable. Remove the assembly (making note of how and where the fan plugs in), clean off the old gunk, apply new paste, install, you should be good to go. Don't forget to plug the fan back into the motherboard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.