Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I apologise in advance if 3com cards aren't drivers, I thought they were but as I have no idea about computers I could be wrong :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was hoping someone would be able to please help me, my laptop has a 3com card which I need to use to get onto the wireless when I'm at home, but it's very tempremental and often when I 'pop' it out hoping to get online it just seems dead and wont connect and then other times as soon as I open the card a blue screen comes up on the computer and the whole thing restarts? But then sometimes its absolutely fine and works no problem!

Does anybody know what is causing it to behave like this and do you think buying a new 3com card would fix the problem or could it be something going on inside the computer?

If any of you have any suggestions I'd be very grateful as I have a dissertation due in 2 weeks and really really need to get this fixed!

Rachel

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
A card is a piece of hardware, a driver is some software that tells the operating system(Windows) how to use the hardware device.

What brand and model laptop do you have?
Is the 3com network card a removable device(plugs into a usb port on the side or a PCMIA slot in the side of the laptop) or built into the laptop?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My laptop is an Ergo Preceptor 5 and the 3com card slots into the side and you have to pull it out when you want to connect to wifi, the numbers printed on it are 11a/b/g 3CRPAG 175 if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok that makes sense, when I go to 'safely remove hardware' to take out usb sticks it used to have the option to remove the 3com card too but it doesn't anymore so I'm guessing that means it's uninstalled?

I've taken the card out completely and put it back in but nothing happens,is there another way I can reinstall it?

Rachel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.