Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have smashed the adaptor that carries the fuel filter on the engine.
The engine is some 12 years old and do I have to replace the adaptor at some £80 cost ot can I carry on without the filter and just blank off the conection to the filter.

Any chance of buying a used replacement in the UK:pray:

any knowledgeable help appreciated

AlexAB in the UK

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum

We are going to need more numbers, than you have given us. Look here at he B&S page for help locating the engine numbers:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/

Look down about half way and view the video on "Need help identifying your engine model number?"

BG

·
Registered
14,580 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response.

The part is shown on page 3 drawing 1028 next to the filter.
the BS part no is 496744.

To solve my imediate problem of mowing my grass I need to get some guide about the probable consequences of blanking off the filter and doing about an hours work for the engine.
All this while I attempt to source a used or new part.

AlexAB

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
That is oil filter assembly, not the fuel filter!! Big difference.

It can't be blocked off, the engine will not circulate the oil and engine will be ruined.

I assume it is made of cast metal that has been painted. If you have all the pieces you can try gluing them back together with epoxy. I have fixed a lot of this using "J-B Weld" They make one that sets in only five minutes. Takes a few hours to fully cure. Is it available in the UK ? No idea.

Before trying this, every thing has to be super clean and oil free. It need to clean enough to eat off of, seriously. Can't have any paint on the parts either. The cleaner it is, the better it works.

BG

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
The piece you mentioned is the oil filter adapter.
I would highly reccommend not blocking it off.
Oil comes to the filter through one hole and returns to the engine through the other.
Blocking it will prevent oil flow and cause massive destruction.
Im not sre if Ebay is a possibility in the UK but over here I often find replacement parts that cost much less than at a dealer.
Hopefully you have a neighbor who can let you borrow a mower until then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the replies.
I was tempted to try the blanking off technique because many of these engines are supplied without a filter but perhaps they are designed differently.

I must just search for a replacemnet.
AlexAB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help.
I have found a helpful person who was able to weld the alloy adaptor and so far it works.
I just hope that it lasts for the rest of the life of the engine.

Lesson to pass on to everyone:-
If you must hammer a screwdriver into the filter to remove it then use a small and so sharp screwdriver and a small and light hammer.

Apply brains before brawn!
AlexAB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.