Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know I bought a Laptop Network Harddrive and cant seem to format it correctly. I am using WIN XP PRO but it only reads 7 gig of a 60 gig harddrive. Any help you all can provide will be much appreciated.

Joel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
laptop network harddrive

The Laptop harddrive is an Hitachi, Model DK23EA-60
CYL 16383, Heads 16

appreciate any help.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
What is a "Laptop Network Harddrive"?

What version of Windows are you using, and how old is the system we're talking about here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My laptop is using windows xp professional. The laptop is a Dell 5150, 512 ram and 3.06 ghz. I have a 30 gig drive and want a larger one. I bought a 60 gig and tried loading Dell Windows XP Pro and it hung at 37 percent. ALso it showed on 7.3 gig.

awaiting your reply

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I think the real question might be how many partitions are on the drive. Use the fdisk utility to find out. When fdisk loads, select #4 "display partition information" to see what partitions exist. Your problem suggests there is more than one. Then if you want to start from scratch, (my suggestion) remove all partitions until none are left. Then when you again try the install, XP will create the required partitions and format to install the system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try that in the morning. I know when I tried fdisk before it show one partition at 7315 megs (approx). I delete all partitions and run winxp.

thanks and hope it works

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deleted partition and ran win XP still same results. Thought I would do a low level format and I get

Error Bit Set Status Regisiter 51h Error regisiter 4h....

Any idea what to do next?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what exactly you mean by properties?

It states on the harddrive it is a 60.1 GB Hitachi laptop harddrive model dk23ea-60, cyl16383,H16, 4200 RPMs

Appreciate your time and help
Joel

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Are you sure the drive doesn't have a problem? I think that Dell will accept a 60gig drive, I found someone running 60gig that wanted to upgrade...

I'd consider a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter cable to test it on a desktop machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an adapter, but I will have to try it on my wifes machine.... maybe later on or tommorrow. I think I just rec'd a bad drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be looking for a 40 or 60 since the 5150 I have doesn't have a harddrive. I used one of my smaller ones to see if it works after putting in MB.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.