Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back because "techsupportform" security help group is great. And help me recover from a virus without requiring a reinstall.

background
=======
This an older machine, not the same one that had the virus fixed, which runs some software, I would rather not go through the trouble of reinstalling from scratch. Two disk partitions C: and I: "WINDOWS is installed on the I: disk partition.
NTFS fs
XP Pro SP2, nov autopatch lite applied.

Probable cause
======
On normal report after install some new software, the computer did a chkdsk and found "a corrupt file metadata" and deleted it. This is a good hard disk less than a year old, with no smart errors. Software induced file corruption.

Present error
=======
The computer boots normal and safe mode without errors.
However after booting there is no user available to select, not even administrator in safe mode.

What I have tried
=======
I have a ubcd4win, ubcd4 "linux version" and XP Pro SP2 CD.

1) Perhaps corrupt registry?
Thinking this, I have used the most recent copy of the registry found in System Volume Information restore
The same day the corruption occurred.
Following http://www.palmersoft.co.uk/main.asp?content=corruptreg
I restored the backed up registry. Testing with serveral reboots, this did not help. So I restored the original registry.
2) Used ubcd4win to run chkdsk read-only check
no errors on either disk partition C: or I:

My question what needs to be done to fix this?
1) Replace some broken files?, if so which ones?
2) Reinstall in windows in place? how do I put the registry back, or do I need to reinstall all the software, which I don't want to do
3) Is the registry corrupt?, should I try to restore an earlier version from the System Volume Information
4) Other solution????

Thanks in advance
Tim.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I ran into the same problem, when the computer boots up to windows welcome screen, there is no user to select and log on to correct? if thats the case, yesterday i found out if you press cntrl + alt + del at the windows welcome screen, it will then ask you for your administration password (please tell me you know it : ) to many forget it). anyways hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
press cntrl + alt + del at the windows welcome screen

I have tried that multiple times. But it doesn't help :(
It does not seem to do anything.

·
Registered
127 Posts
well i did find this one website where you can tweak out your windows, hope this website helps, i believe on line 22, it shows you "hide users or unhide users log in" maybe this script can help unhide them.

here is the website:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

the only problem is you need to drop it on your desktop... so if you can then it can work. also try repairing your windows using repair on your XP pro or Home CD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can boot form the ubcd4win "bart pe" and access all the computers files from there including system files and registry.

I have the XP pro SP2 CD.
This is a pretty simple script. I think I can do this by hand without actually running it.
It is just deleting a registry key. Let me give this a try

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have the registry key it wants to delete.

also try repairing your windows using repair on your XP pro or Home CD.
Do you have a link how to do that? Or outline here what the steps are.

It is late here, I will take a look tomorrow morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.