Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

I was trying to upgrade to windows 7 and this happened. I didn't like Vista and my HDD was making a lot of noise but still working well.

Now when I boot up my computer is says 'BOOTMGR is missing' and I can't get past that. My Gigabyte options come up before that, so I'm sure there's something I can do.

Basically, I want to boot Windows 7 from the disc and get that HDD sound fixed. I backed up everything from my vista install so I'm willing to just reinstall everything. Please let me know what I have to do.

I had another post specifically geared towards the HDD sound and someone told me to turn off shadow copy or something like that. It didn't work, but maybe windows 7 will fix that automatically.

thanks!

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't get very far into vista without it freezing. This all started when I tried to install 7 over vista. Something went wrong during the installation and it froze.

When I try the repair option in vista, there's no OS to be found. I also tried my gigabyte motherboard repair and that doesn't complete either.

I want to just wipe everything clean. I have all my original software. Please let me know what else I can do.

- I downloaded that EasyBCD but I don't know what to do from there. I didn't see any option to make a boot file.

thanks again!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry, I actually got Vista to start doing a fresh install. It's in the process right now but it's looking good.

Guess I'll have to find out what's wrong with my 7 disc. I read somewhere that it's better to install it with less ram. Like taking out 2 gigs and then putting them back in after the full install.

ugggh vista has caused me much grief.

thanks all!

----

To above poster. What do you mean by 'clean.' And sorry I don't know what ghosting is. Please inform me.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Trying to upgrade from one OS to another is not the best choice. Doing a Clean Install of 7 is the best way to go. Is your 7 disc original or copy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.