Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a few days ago one of my computers has started acting funny, and it first was unable to load windows and kept trying to do a startup fix, but it couldnt find anything wrong, but would not boot. it seemed to get worse, and is now showing a bootmgr missing error before windows starts, and says to cntrl alt del to restart.

ive checked all the cables, and it seems to be able to read the HDD. ive tried to reformat from a bootable cd, but it BSOD every time. Im pretty stumped at what to do from here on out. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
380 Posts
boot from win 7/Vista OS DVD,select "repair your computer" on the window whre tou get option to install now,In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next....At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer....Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next....In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair....If this doesnt work try following post....

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi Texc77,

One thing, can your computer boot up in safe mode at least?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Again go to "repair your computer" option,Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next....In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt....Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER....then type the following commands : 1. bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup 2. c: 3. cd boot 4. attrib bcd -s -h -r 5. ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old 6. bootrec /RebuildBcd....reply with result..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I got to that screen yesterday and it had the windows os listed, but today there is no os at all. ive tried the cmd.exe as well, hit C:. it hangs up for a bit, then states the request could not be perfromed because of an I/O device error.

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team |Tech
2,256 Posts
I just recovered files from a hard drive, showing the I/O error, when I plugged the drive in using a USB adapter windows recognized it as being RAW format. I then proceeded to format the Windows Partiton as NTFS then could recover the customers documents. The drive contained a rootkit, and numerous other trojans, however still can't use the Dell recovery partition, looks like the owner will be purchasing the recovery disks from Dell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so is the HDD worthless now? would i have to get a new one or is it still reformatable? i have back ups of the drive already, so files are not an issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the command prompt is not working either, says the store export operation has failed. the system cannot find the file specified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.