Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several days of my computer freezing, one morning I wake up to find that when I turn on my computer, it won't boot up. I've googles for a working solution but none of them seem to work. My operating system is Windows 7 and i bought it that way black Friday at best buy. What I have tried so far was downloading a W7 repair cd and tried to auto repair which ended in offline error, as well I tried the command prompt but it didn't work with fix boot, fixmbr, etc. It would give me a message along the lines that there is no command or it won't work. I can't get into safe mode nor can I boot up, my computer randomly freezes. I do not care if I can fix this and lose all of my information. Information is not what I want to save, I want to save money from buying a new hard disk. I use my computer for gaming and school.

Specs:

Windows 7 64 Bit
1TB Hard Drive
8GB of RAM
AMD Quad Core Processor 2.66ghz
Built-in NVIDIA Geforce 9100 GFx card

Thanks in advance.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts
Hi-

The "fixmbr" command has been replaced by another command:
Code:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply.

I entered it exactly as you stated and it had said that it was completed successfully but now when I try to boot up, it'll say "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

Hopefully I can get this fixed any way possible without spending money. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply.

I entered it exactly as you stated and it had said that it was completed successfully but now when I try to boot up, it'll say "The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

Hopefully I can get this fixed any way possible without spending money. :(
Can anyone help? ^

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi see if the info here can help Follow up on â
I believe saw this page earlier. Memory diagnostics is when your computer checks all of it's components to see if they're working right, right? I believe if it checked right, that this is what it said...

Error code: BIOHD-2
Warning: No drives detected
Suggestion: Turn off your system and verify the drive cables are securely attached.
Suggestion: If problems persist, contact HP support
Press any key to continue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe saw this page earlier. Memory diagnostics is when your computer checks all of it's components to see if they're working right, right? I believe if it checked right, that this is what it said...

Error code: BIOHD-2
Warning: No drives detected
Suggestion: Turn off your system and verify the drive cables are securely attached.
Suggestion: If problems persist, contact HP support
Press any key to continue.
Any fix? ^ :(

·
Premium Member
41,895 Posts
Go into the Setup Bios and make sure your HDD is being listed. If not, check the cables to the drive and to the motherboard and that they are pushed in tight. Try a different power plug and SATA cable. Run the HDD Diagnostics for your HDD Manufacturer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no clue where my motherboard is located on my HP computer and what is a SATA cable? I opened my computer and made sure the cords to my hard drive we secure. but now, instead of saying the file is corrupt it went back to saying BOOTMGR is missing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Run the HDD Diagnostics for your HDD Manufacturer.If you don't know the brand, then download Seatools for DOS ISO image and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests.
My desktop is an HP, at the beginning when i turn on my system, I press one of the 'f' keys to go to system diagnostics. I posted what happens when it reaches my drive in a previous post. It gives me a suggestion to check if my cords are plugged in. If this isn't what the HDD diagnostics is then I'll download the program.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I honestly appreciate all the help coming in. If I can get this fixed, it would save me a 1TB HD, I'd be one of the happiest people at that moment. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Run the HDD Diagnostics for your HDD Manufacturer.If you don't know the brand, then download Seatools for DOS ISO image and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests.
So I downloaded seatools, it loaded up. I accepted agreement then it started running a test. It said...

Drive List
WDC WD10EADS-65M2BO, Serial Number, Revision 01.00A01, Test Idle, Test Results FAILED.
It was a long test that failed.

I clicked the drive and pressed Long Test

·
Premium Member
41,895 Posts
Well, there you go. The HDD has failed and it needs to be replaced. You can also see if the HDD is under warranty and you can send it back to the manufacturer for a refurbished one for free.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, there you go. The HDD has failed and it needs to be replaced. You can also see if the HDD is under warranty and you can send it back to the manufacturer for a refurbished one for free.
Ah damn, well thanks. It's been a year and a half almost since I bought this in 09 Black Friday, the likeliness of a warranty is low, no? I would need help choosing out the best and cheapest possible new hard drive on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! , is there a specific type id have to buy for my HP desktop?

·
Premium Member
41,895 Posts
Just as long as it is the same type drive, SATA. Seagates are great brands. Most HDD's are under warranty for 5 years, unlike the computer they are attached to. You have to check the warranty from the HDD Manufacturer not the computer manufacturer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just as long as it is the same type drive, SATA. Seagates are great brands. Most HDD's are under warranty for 5 years, unlike the computer they are attached to. You have to check the warranty from the HDD Manufacturer not the computer manufacturer.
Oh wow, that's great for my situation! Thank you, but, if I go about buying a new HDD, how would I go about getting W7 for it? My computer has a serial key attached to it but it never came with a cd.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.