Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... I have a hard drive that has xp installed in it.
I got a new hard drive and wished to install vista home basic x32 in it
but my computer (optiplex 760) did not come with cd-rom so I had to deal everything with USB and stuff..
I have tried everything I could that was on the web to make my USB bootable but everytime I do that it shows (boot device is not recognized) I don't know why.
So I just came up with an easy solution
All I have done was (since there is no cd-rom) I copied everything on the DVD and moved it into my portable hard drive. After I ran it through while on xp. (xp drive as primary and the empty on secondary) That did some trick and worked fine. I managed to install all the drivers required for this computer and it seemed working fine. The problem started after this..

Now since the harddrive (one with xp) did not orginally come from this computer I had to take it out and give it back to it's original owner. However, everytime I try to turn on my computer it says Bootmgr is missing (ctrl+alt+del for restart) everytime. (*I plugged the harddrive(vista) into the first SATA plug and went to bios to configure that the computer is properly reading it as a primary drive). The funny thing is that ( at least to me :tongue:) when I plug the xp drive into primary SATA cord and the vista harddrive into secondary SATA cord. It goes into this boot menu where I have to choose either to go into previous version of windows or Vista. For some reason it only works that way.(It also takes rly long to go to log-in screen) If I plug the vista into Primary and xp into secondary, it gives a black screen with Bootmgr is missing. :4-dontkno

I checked out everything and all they give me are solutions that require a CD-rom or sth. I don't have a CD-rom that can connect with sata stuff so I only have my usb to play around with.

Can you guys please help me out? How to fix this stuff?
It's rly annoying:upset:

THANKS

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.