Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as the title suggests I have the problem "BOOTMGR is missing", below comes a long explanation of everything I've done so that it might be easier to find the problem, but if you scroll down I also did a short summary that might suffice. Also worth mentioning that I am no computer genious, mediocre computing skills..

I recently bought a new HDD, and decided that I wanted to move my OS onto it, since it is much faster then the old one. So I did a windows easy transfer, re-installed windows 7 Ultimate 64 (the same OS as I had on the old HDD) - and started up, completed the easy transfer and everything was great, everything was working.

Now I am a kind of perfectionist so I wanted to clear out my old HDD (the one I had my old OS on), and so I tried to format it. I got a message that windows could not format the selected hard drive.

Now I probably should have listened to this and let it be, but I didn't. I downloaded a program called "killdisk" or something, and did a forced format on the old HDD, which seemed to work. I went on with my business and shut down my computer when I went to bed.

The next morning I am greeted by the message:
"BOOTMGR IS MISSING - press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart"
upon startup, and so I tried to restart - same thing.
I fetched my windows 7 installation CD and tried to run the repair utility, but to no avail. I did it several times and each time it only took about 4 seconds and then it asked for a restart, but the issue persisted.

Now from what I figure, the BOOTMGR was on the old HDD that I force formatted for some reason, and thus the computer cannot boot, even though my "new hdd" with the OS and all my data is untouched.

I tried to unplug each HDD, I tried to switch boot sequences, switch cable inputs, even ran the bootrec.exe commands in the repair utility, but the same message keeps coming.

Now it is worth mentioning that I did the startup repair about 5 times, so I am pretty sure that it is not working for me.

IF this is the issue, is there any way to change so that the computer boots from the BOOTMGR on my "new hdd", the one with the fresh OS? Or is it gone forever and I simply need to redo everything with a fresh installation?

The problem is then to backup all my files, but I can do that sure I guess...

But is there another way to fix this issue? I am up to suggestions, and hope that there is some simple solution I havn't tried yet, even though after scanning the interwebs the issue seems to be happening quite a lot for a lot of people, there seems to be no simple solution...

Long story short: BOOTMGR is missing, probably since it was installed on my old HDD when I did the new OS installation on my new HDD, but is there a way to fix this? Create a new BOOTMGR?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text, just thought it might be easier to understand if I told you guys everything I did from start to finish.
I will be here to answer any questions as best as I can while I try to sort this out the hard way :p (backup and re-installation)

//Serathima :smile:

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts
First, unplug all HDD except the one with the Windows 7
then go back to the istallation cd and run cmd- run the following: "fixboot"
if that does not work then try "bootrec /fixboot"

post back with results

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reponse!

The only HDD now plugged in is my new one with the windows 7 on it as you requested and after starting up the reparation, selecting command prompt and entering:

bootrec.exe /fixboot

I get the following response:

Element not found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've been there and done that... It made no difference. although the results might be of some interest:

bootrec.exe commands:

Command :/fixmbr
Response: The operation completed succesfully.

Command: /fixboot
Response: Element not found.

Command: /ScanOs
Response: Identified windows installations: 1
(1) C:\Windows
The operation completed successfully.

Command: /RebuildBcd
Response: Identified 1 windows installation - Add installation to boot list?
Y/N
Now this is interesting, but upon saying Yes, I again get the following response: Element not found.

That's all the commands I could find, and after a reboot none of them proved to help resolve anything...

I also got a diagnostic result after doing the Startup Repair, but I can't really remember what it was... Since it requires a reboot I won't do it unless the information might be of use.. (takes quite a while to get back to the repair screen, if you know what I mean...)

Any other ideas? :4-dontkno

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts
boot into a Live CD (like Ubuntu) and verify that "bootmgr" is located at the root of C: (linux does not show drive letter so it will be at the root of whatever partition windows 7 is on)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, however after trying to do what you said I find myself quite lost...

I did a backup on my HDD on my other computer and did a fresh installation on my main computer with only the single HDD plugged in, and everything seems to be working now. Took a while, but I think it was beginning to get out of reach of my expertise :p

Thanks still though Mark, think this could be marked this as solved, since I think there actually isn't a way to solve the issue I encountered without a reinstallation., which in fact did solve it ;p

All the best :smile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.