Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on my computer, I keep get this message.

Booting 'Windows Vista'

acpi
Vista Loader 2.1.2

Done!
fallback 1
find --set-root /bootmgr
(hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x7
chainloader /bootmgr
Will boot NTLDR from drive=0x80, partition=0x0(hidden sectors=0x800)

It will not boot past this message, I have to keep turning it off and back on until I finally get a page that gives me a choice of safe mode, normal mode, etc. then it will boot up and run normal.

How can I fix this? I'm running Vista Pro.
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got back home and found some time to play with this crazy computer some more.

The problem has gotten worse.I tried for about a half hour to get it to boot with and without the disc ,with no luck.The drive spins and I get the message to press any key to boot from disc,but the curser keeps flashing and nothing happens. Help! Any ideas

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
try a cmos reset
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
replace the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

there can be 2 solder points you touch with a screwdriver
2 pins you touch with a screwdriver or use a jumper
a cmos clear switch or button
there will be a diagram and instructions in your manual

post the specs

·
Registered
23 Posts
It has nothing to do with your hardware. You have a left over Linux boot somewhere on the root. Try this standard recover procedure:
Boot from the Windows CD
Select R for Recovery Console
Type the number of your Windows install (usually 1) and hit enter
Type in the administrator password (if you don't have an admin password just hit enter)
Type fixmbr and hit enter
Answer yes when it asks you to overwrite the MBR
Type exit, the system should then boot into Vista.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the input.

After many attempts last night I was able to get the screen that asked if I wanted to come up in normal or safe mode.I let it boot up in normal and it worked just fine,I did make many attempts to boot up with the windows disc. I would get the message that said hit any key to boot from disc with a flashing curser.Hitting any and all keys had no effect.
Hitting Ctrl Alt Delete would reboot back to that message hit any key to boot from disc.I tried that over and over with no results. I think this thing is possessed. Any more ideas.
by the way I'm running Vista ultimate,not pro as I stated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, to clarify, you can now boot up to Vista normally? The problem is your installation DVD will not boot?
If you are having peristent problems booting int Vista, but can get in eventually8??) try downloading Easybcd and reinstall the boot loader in the options.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Davehc,
Again thanks for your help and input.
After many tries of recycling on and off I can get it to boot up ,but not normally.It will come up with the do you want to boot in safe mode or normal screen.

I find what ever I do it's not consistent.Sometime going into the bios and hit F-10 like I'm saving changes will allow me to boot up but not always.Like I said it may take 30 minutes to hit it just right to get it to boot in some fashion.

At first it when this started to give me problems about a month ago would take maybe a couple of tries and the it would boot normal. With each time I try to boot it takes more tries.

For what it's worth I even have a hard time getting the bios curser to move .I can always get into the bios ,I just can't do anything once I get in,and have to reboot.At first I thought the keyboard wasn't working ,but I can always hit Ctrl Alt Delete and that works. I still think it's possessed. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you cannot get into the bios easily , or cannot use the mouse when in the bios, then your options are running out. It could be a serious motherboard issue. But first, a rae possibility, have you any meter available with which you can check the bbios battery? Also, and hopefully, it could be a badly malfunctioning mouse. Try to unplug it, and whilst you are there, unplug any USB devices, then try a boot.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,753 Posts
Hi, I could have misread this though it seems you have a problem with Vista's boot loader, It appears to be looking for something Vista does not have (ntldr) You need to access BIOS and set boot device first to CD rom put in the vista DVD and reboot Vista will automatically repair the startup problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To clarify, I can get into the bios screen, but I can't always move to the different selections with the arrow keys , but the keyboard is working because I was able to get into the bios by hitting F2. I can also get out by hitting Crtl Alt Delete.
I have the same problem when I try to boot from the Vista disc, when it ask me to hit any key to boot from disc nothing happens. Again Ctrl Alt Delete will reboot back to the screen that says hit any key to boot from the disc. As I said once I can get it to boot up in Vista it works great. My son said just don't turn it off. He is not the one paying the electric bill, and that's not a fix in my book. Again thanks for all the help. I know it's not easy to diagnose long distance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
A note: At one point I pulled everything off the back of the computer except the power cord thinking as mentioned that a keyboard, mouse or USB device was preventing it from booting.Still had the intermittent booting problem with everything disconnected.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,753 Posts
Hi, easiest way to fix this is to get a ps2 keyboard Borrow one or if you currently have a usb get a converter pretty cheap This is common most tech's have experienced it especially with Wireless keyboard and mouse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.