Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, trying to install XP on older notebook who dont have cd rom, so i have to do it through USB. I made bootable USB with rufus, but when i try to boot it i get A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart, and no matter what i do it always happed. USB is alright, working normaly, so don't know what could be problem? Thanks.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Has the hard drive been formatted, or does it already have an OS on it?

Have you changed the boot order in BIOS to USB First?

Have you tried all USB ports?

·
Registered
73 Posts
It have OS, XP too, should i format it first?
Yes i did.
Yes i did.

Now is just automatic restarting. I put USB in any of 3 ports, and it starts, Acer logo, 2-3 sec later display is black and it restart and again Acer logo. And when i remove USB windows start normal.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,124 Posts
Have you changed the boot order in BIOS to USB First?
With the Flash drive plugged in, Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab. Here under Hard Drive Group your flash drive may appear. Or just as USB device. Using your Enter and arrow keys, Move this to First Boot Device. Save and Exit.
When restarted it should boot to USB. If not, try your flash drive on another computer. If it doesn't boot that computer, then you did not create it correctly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i know, already told i did that, it's booting from USB, but now just keep restarting after 5-10 sec max. And when i pull USB from laptop windows start normaly. And i tryed it on my PC, and it boot normaly. Really don't know what could be problem. :confused:

·
Global Moderator
43,124 Posts
Then you didn't create your bootable Flash drive correctly, start over.
On another computer take your bootable XP CD and create an ISO image of it using IMGBurn in my signature. Save the image to your desktop. Start Rufus and under Create a Bootable Disc Using take the drop down arrow and choose ISO image, browse to your XP image file on your desktop.
Now plug the newly created Flash Drive in the troubled computer. Make sure USB is first boot device and restart the computer. You should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From USB. This should start the flash drive.
If you still have problems, then the HDD may be failing. You can create a bootable USB Flash Drive of Seatools boot off of this USB and run the short and Long tests on the HDD. If either fails the HDD needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did that, and when i start laptop i got: Please select the operating system to start: Microsoft windows XP home edition (windows that is currently on laptop) and Microsoft windows XP professional setup (windows i trying to install), if i choose first windows start normaly, if i choose 2nd i got a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart. And when i press that 3 nothing happend i have to shut down PC and start it again.

·
Global Moderator
43,124 Posts
You are still booting from the HDD and not the USB.
To install Windows, you need to boot from your USB or from Windows disc. Then if you want to wipe all previous installations of Windows, at the partition information section of the setup, choose to Delete both Windows until the HDD is Unallocated Space, then choose to Create a partition and do a Quick Format and then install Windows.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I told you, when i put in boot options to boot from USB first, windows just keep restarting, i saw acer screen, where it writes to press f2 to enter setup, and like 2-3 sec after laptop just restart and it keep doing all time. I press f2, check order in boot and it's like it should be, kingston usb first, HD 2nd, etc, i press f10 to save and exit. And laptop is just keep restarting, if i put HD first windows start normaly but then i have that question if i want to start Microsoft windows XP home edition, and Microsoft windows XP professional setup. I even changed USB, now i use diffrent one and it's still same. And i even installed from this USB windows last night on other laptop, so USB and windows on it working perfectly.
And even this laptop is working fine, just my gf brought it with her from Sweden, and she don't know much of that language, and it have alot of useless programs and spyweres on it, so i just wanted to do quick format and install windows..

·
Global Moderator
43,124 Posts
If the computer reboots when it is trying to boot from the USB, then there is a problem with the USB. It was not created properly. Try creating it again as outlined in Post #7. Test your USB by trying to boot from another computer. If that fails, the USB has a problem.
If you have an XP CD, try that.
Other then that, you can remove the HDD and attach it either internally to a Desktop computer, or via a USB Adapter, or put it into a USB Enclosure or Dock. Here you can Format the drive in Disk Management. Then put the drive back in the laptop and boot from the XP media, and install Windows.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was away for couple of days. Anyways i did everything as you said in post #7, even tryed with another USB, and it still not working. I can't try with CD because this is that kind of small laptop (forgot name) so it don't have cd reader. And i don't think HD is problem, because it's working fine, mostly i want to reinstall if because of language (it's Swedish).

Btw, i suspect that USB ain't created properly, but i don't know why. I did what you said, tryed with another USB, did everything i supose to, and still nothing. Maybe size of USB is problem? One is 4gb, other 8gb, should i try to find smaller?

·
Global Moderator
43,124 Posts
Try the USB Flash Drive on another computer, if that doesn't boot that computer, then it was not created correctly.
Start from the beginning. Do you have a bootable XP CD? Make sure and Test this make sure it boots on another computer. If so, then create an ISO image of it using IMGBurn as outlined in Post #7. Then use Rufus, under the Create a Bootable disk using. take the drop down arrow and choose ISO image, browse to the saved XP ISO image file. Put the Flash Drive in the troubled computer and boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab. Your USB Flash drive may be included in the Hard Drive Group, or it will just be USB Device. Using your Enter and Arrow key, Move this to the top of the Boot devices. Save and Exit. After restarting, you should see the message, Press Any Key To Boot From USB. If not, try this on another computer.
If all of this fail, remove the HDD from the computer and attach it to another and format the HDD. Then replace it and start with the USB. Since there will be no other boot file, it should boot from USB.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm doing it again, but i doubt it will work, following all steps, but when i put USB into laptop, and i select everything in bios, it always says A disk read error occured. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart, like it's booting from HD. And USB is #1 in booting order, XP cd is working 100%, and i did everything like you said, many, many times, even changed USB.
Anyways **** that, seems this laptop don't want to be fixed. Maybe you can help with another problem. On other laptop i have Vista, it came with laptop, and i want to install XP on that one too, and when i put XP CD, everything start normal, loading CD, etc, etc, and then when it offer options to repair, install new windows, etc, i select install new and after it says it can't find any HD. And it have HD who work normaly, i read somewhere that is because of Vista missing some drivers, or something? Do you know how i should fix that, or is it even possible? Thanks, and sorry for all. :)

·
Global Moderator
43,124 Posts
OK, What is the Make and Model # of the Vista Laptop.
Windows XP does not have native SATA drivers for your HDD.
Boot into Setup (Bios) look for Hard Drive Mode, or SATA. Change the Mode from AHCI or RAID to IDE or Legacy. Save and Exit. Then the XP CD will recognize your SATA HDD.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lt's HP Pavilion dv6000. Yeah i read about that too, and when i enter bios i dont have options to change it. I have main tab where i can change only time and date, security with administrator and power-on password, system configuration with language, sata native support (it's enabled now, i can disable) button sound, cpu c4 function (both enabled, can disable too) and boot options. Diagnostics tab with only self test for HD and exit tab.

·
Global Moderator
43,124 Posts
Try disabling the SATA Native support, Save and Exit. Then boot the XP CD and see if that works

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeahhhhh, it's working, greatttttt! Thank you very much. Now after i finish this laptop i will just move HD from other to this and install again XP. :)

Btw, one quick question. I'm on that laptop, installed XP and everything is working fine. So if now i install drivers here. And then pull HD, and put HD from other laptop, install XP on that HD and then pull it again and put here HD with installed drivers, there wont be any problems, i wont lose drivers or something like that?

·
Global Moderator
43,124 Posts
You cannot install Windows on one computer and put it into a different computer and expect it to work.
When Windows installs on a computer it takes a snapshot of the Hardware, Motherboard, Chipset and installs drivers specific to that computer during the install. If you remove that HDD and place it into a different computer, when the computer starts to boot, it looks for the previous hardware, does not find it and it BSOD's.
As for the other computer that won't boot to Bios. Remove the HDD and boot the computer. You will get No Boot File Found, Select different Boot Device, Press F1 to continue or Press F2 for Setup. Try that and press F2 to enter Setup (Bios) reset the Boot order To USB, Replace the HDD and try it again.

·
Global Moderator
43,124 Posts
Boot the computer and press and hold 1 or 2 keys, the computer should beep and invoke the stuck key message and give you the option to enter Setup (Bios)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.