Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Ubuntu on my laptop for a while now, and I was trying to set up a dual-boot with xp. My partition layout was such: An ext3 boot partition, a 40gb NTFS partition set aside for xp, a 160gb ext3 home partition for linux, and an ext3 partition that linux runs from. Upon putting in a known working xp boot disc, the screen hangs (without ever displaying anything except a blinking cursor) on boot until I eject the cd, whereupon it promptly loads grub. Thinking this to be a grub/xp clash, I rashly deleted the ext3 boot partition and formatted it for windows, but the problem persists (though now grub gets an error 17 while trying to load). Any ideas on how I can get both of these OSs working? Thanks.

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,513 Posts
Re: booting from disc hangs

Hi,

Welcome to TSF!!

Can you break down for me the partitions that you have and OS's that are on your computer too. There was a lot of mess that I read and I couldn't really figure out what OS's you had left and what partitons you had.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Right now there is Ubuntu 9.04 on the ext3 root partition, and other partitions include an ext3 home data partition, a swap partition, and a FAT32 partition set aside for windows. Thanks for the reply

·
6,513 Posts

Thank you. When you put the windows cd into your computer how do you go about making sure that it is the first thing that starts? You need to do this so that you can load the installer.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It is set to boot first in the BIOS and I have also manually tried selecting it from the boot menu.

·
6,513 Posts

Hi,

This seems more like a windows issue now then a linux issue. I am going to move this to the windows forum and see if they can help you more.

Cheers!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Do you by chance have an Ubuntu Live cd available? If so, does that cd load correctly?

As far as Ubuntu goes, you can solve that issue with a live cd and a fair amount of command line work. The /boot partition holds GRUB's config files plus the kernel image and a mini root FS that's used to boot the system. You'll need to reinstall and recover those before you'll see Ubuntu again. You can do that before or after installing XP, though doing it after would be advised - less work. Just be sure to save a 100MBs of space on the drive, if you want to recreate your /boot partition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I reinstalled Ubuntu because even with none of the ubuntu partitions left XP wouldn't boot. Yes, I have an Ubuntu Live CD. What is said command line work?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ubuntu nor GRUB (the linux boot loader) would cause a Windows CD to fail to load. If you're talking about a Windows install; that's a different story.

You should insert the live CD and try booting from it... does it work?

Might you explain where you're at with things as of now? You've reinstalled Ubuntu - ok, how about XP?

The command line - nevermind. Reinstalling Ubuntu was the other option and since you did that, no need to worry about fixing the old install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, I reinstalled Ubuntu and that appears to have no effect on my XP/Vista (which I have now tried too) install situation. Neither will boot at all, causing the same problem as before. The Ubuntu Live CD works fine. Another thing to note is that I made that CD in the same way as the XP disc (burnt from an image file), so that rules out that possibility, I think. Also, this computer came with Vista pre-installed, so it's definitely not a hardware thing (not that it really could be, anyway). Thanks everyone for their time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, still no luck. I have tried with 32 and 64 bit versions of both xp and vista, 4 tries total. 3 of those 4 discs are known to work, the other one I haven't tried. Anyone have any ideas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.