Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm desperate. Been searching the internets for similar symptoms but it's never exactly the same.

I'll describe what happend.

Yesterday I was watching a movie when suddenly everything froze.
Ctrl+alt+del didn't work, the mouse didn't move.
This was the first time something like this happend (that I can remember).

Since nothing responded for quite a while (5-10 minutes) I decided to hold the power button and restart.

A black screen popped up on start up giving me options to start in safe mode. I chose to run a normal startup. The windows "loading bar" kept scrolling over 20 times, when it usually only takes like 3-4 scrolls.
Impatient as I was, I held the power button again.

The next morning I got the same black option screen, running safe mode just auto-rebooted the computer. So I went for a normal start-up again and finally got in. Yet the screen was frozen when I came back from breakfast.

I tried booting up from the Vista installation disk. Entered the serial number, got to the partition screen. I selected to format my 1st partition (the one with vista and other progs on it). The hourglass spinned, and again everything froze, including the mouse. Hit the power (again).

Things got even worse with every new boot up. Sometimes I couldn't even get to boot up from the disc, as BIOS did not detect any hard drives / CD drives. Sometimes I got the "Reboot and select proper boot device..." message.

Leaving the computer off for half an hour usually gets me back into windows, but with the usual freeze and downward spiral that follows.

At this point it would be great to be able to save the 2nd partition (with all my data), but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to take to get my computer running again...

I've considered reinstalling or System Restore, but both get interrupted or freeze.

I'd love to provide some error logs or dxdiag, but I'm afraid I don't have time to do so, since everything freezes right in the middle.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You may want to run some hardware diagnostics to make sure the hard disk isn't failing. I recently just had a computer do the same thing and after testing the HD, there were errors and replacing it fixed it for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I'll make the boot CD and let you know what happens.

The PC is still on warranty, but I don't want to bring it in unless there's nothing I can do.
Besides, they'll probably tell me it's my fault or that the thing that happend isn't covered and bill me anyways :(

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts
Warranty is a good thing here. If the Diagnostics say your drive is ailing or dead, it is. For a failed hard drive, I have never seen an argument over warranty replacement unless there is very obvious physical damage to the computer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.