Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I screwed my computer up by touching two live wires while the computer was on. I burned out my motherboard, RAM, and hard drive (and I didn't know it). I took it to a computer repair because I kept getting the message "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." The computer repair shop are the ones who told me that all this stuff had burned out and that was the reason I was getting this message.

Well, I bought another hard drive, more RAM, and another motherboard and guess what, I am still getting that same message.

The hard drive has nothing on it. It is new. What is confusing to me is the fact that once I bought all this stuff, I continue to get the same message. The only thing I have not replaced is the power supply (which may be suspect, but unknown).

How do I fix it?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The reason you still get the message is because your hard drive being new is empty so the computer will check for a boot disk first from floppy then from cd.

Set your bios to boot from cd and put your operating system installation disk in, boot from that post back if you have any probs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MoralTerror said:
The reason you still get the message is because your hard drive being new is empty so the computer will check for a boot disk first from floppy then from cd.

Set your bios to boot from cd and put your operating system installation disk in, boot from that post back if you have any probs
I have tried that already. What do you mean by "boot from that post back?"

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
with the bios se t to boot from cd first,pop in the cd and restart the computer and it will boot from the cd when you press any key when it comes up on the screen
then you let windows do the format and install

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
when you set it to boot from cd first in the bios are you saving the settings before you exit the bios,when it asks
check you can see the drives listed in the bios

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hard drive is shown in the BIOS, but not the cd rom. However, while the computer is booting, I see the cd rom is recognized on the DOS screen, but not the hard drive (weird).

bw

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
you have to get them both recognised by the bios before you will get anywhere
recheck the jumper settings on all drives,if they are correct try another eide cable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.