Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thread so I appologize up front if this is not is the correct format.

I have an EMachines 2482. It has recently decided to not display an image on the monitor while booting. Also during the boot process the DVD, CD, and 3.5 drive do not seem to receive power although the fans are spinning on the board and the hard drive access light is on. The board has an integrated video card so I can not remove it in order to test a new one. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, still a little unclear what is the problem?

How far into the boot sequence are you getting?

How did you end up 'removing' the image displayed? Could you have removed a critcal component of the startup sequence?

What OS?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Try resetting the Bios. Unplug the machine and open it up. Look for the Bios battery and remove it for about 30 minutes. Then replace and try booting the machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ricer333 said:
Well, still a little unclear what is the problem?

How far into the boot sequence are you getting?

How did you end up 'removing' the image displayed? Could you have removed a critcal component of the startup sequence?

What OS?
Not sure how far I am getting in the boot sequence since I can not see anything on the monitor screen. I don't know about any critical component I removed. I am running XP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barry_R said:
Try resetting the Bios. Unplug the machine and open it up. Look for the Bios battery and remove it for about 30 minutes. Then replace and try booting the machine.
I will give that a shot. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I removed the bios battery for 30 minutes, put it back in and no improvement. Still no signal to the monitor. Anymore suggestions?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
see if it will start in safe mode,if not have you a power supply you can swap in or can you borrow one to check with

·
Registered
33 Posts
Key questions here:

1. Is there power going to your peripherals? Example would be your CDrom. Try to open the tray while turned on. If not you could have a dying or dead PSU(power supply)

2. Have you replaced the CMOS jumper? Try to find the CMOS jumper, while computer is unplugged, move it into the clear mode and leave it for about 5 minutes after you plug the computer back in. Then move it back to see if you get some type of display.

3. If you got no display and the First option I gave you showed that you did have power to your peripherals then you may have a bad VGA port. Wouldn't be the first time I have seen it. See if you can't pick up a new PCI graphics card and boot it up.

Your last and probably best option would be to get something other than an E-machine :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have power to the DVD, CD, and 3.5 drives. So I guess it's not the power supply. I think now it's the board. I turned it on last night and heard a 'pop. Followed by the smell of ozone. Kind of like when you race electric cars for too long. Anyway, thanks for all the help but looks like a new machine is my best option.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
:SHOCKED: You didn't let the smoke out did you? :SHOCKED:(old Joke never let the smoke out) :laugh:
Check the capacitors next to the processor. it was possably one of them that popped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry to hear about the explosion. Take it as a good sign to sit down order some parts and piece together a master piece. Its lots of fun and you will get hooked.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.