Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When starting W2K Prof after a shutdown, the logon dialog box that is presented after the kernel initialiation sequence of the boot process contains the name of the user that installed w2k initially. This happens even though I've enabled the "don't show name of last user" and "require the cntl+alt+delete key sequence" services. I think this is happening because during the initial installation, we chose the "always assume a specific user is signing on" option. (Note: after a system restart, the logon dialog box comes up empty like I expect to) Does anyone know why this is happening and how to change the system so that the logon dialog box that is presented after a cold start comes up empty. Hopefully, it can be changed without having to reinstall the OS. Thanks in advance for you insight/help.

Paul

·
Citizen of the world
51,053 Posts
There's an option to Clear last user if you install TweakUI for W2K, available for download from Microsoft. It's on the Paranoia tab.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237890

Hope this helps. The registry value for dontdisplay... has to be a REG_Dword value - not a String value (has ab in the icon in regedit)

It must be:
DontDisplayLastUserName (with the capitals in the right places.)

Values:
0 = Display last logged on user name
1 = Don't display last logged on user

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.