Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

After installing Windows XP SP2, whlie first boot, my computer locks up and won't go further with booting. No blue screen, just Windows XP boot logo.

Have any of you guys met something like that before?
Any advices?

I'll be very gratefull

koper

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Hi Koper, welcome to TSF.

Some details will be most helpful...
mobo, cpu, psu, video, ram, type of drives and how many (ide, sata, scsi, cd/rw).

This a new computer or an upgrade, or are you just upgrading software?
In other words did it work before this, have you made any changes.

The more you can tell us the better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

can't tell you exactly what is inside this computer, it isn't mine. This is new instalation of Windows XP on freshly formated NTFS partition. Becouse of it not working, I've succesfully loded up Windows ME, so it's (not quite shure?) a hardware problem.

Maybe you can give me some advice about way Windows XP loggs it.
I must admit I have rather limited knowledge of windows logging methods (I'm rather a UNIX guy) :)

Thanks in advance.

koper

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Older versions of windows aren't as demanding as Windows XP and 2000, usually if they run okay then it's likely the BIOS settings need tweaking. But since you don't know any more about this computer than I do at this time, lets find out what we can about it.

Go to this website and download Everest to the windows desktop, it's a software diagnostics and will run in win ME. Double-click the file and it will install itself then run.

EVEREST Home Edition v2.20 Full version, self-installing EXE package

When it starts: In the left pane is an icon Computer, click it then Right-click Summary > Quick Report > Plain text. Save the text file to a floppy then paste it here in your thread.

If you're comfortable with looking inside the case, then do so. Unplug AC first, then remove cover and visually inspect the interior. With one hand always touching the metal chasis, check that all connector cables are well seated, any PCI/AGP cards are seated, RAM is seated. If the Power supply label is visible then write down the data and post it too.

Also download Memtest86 (link below), it will make a bootable floppy that you can use to test the memory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for fast reply.

I'll do tha and post the results as fast as possible.

Thanks again

koper

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.