Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using the PC4 800 Deluxe, latest bios update 2 / 80 gig serial ata raid setup and once I get it to boot everything works fine. My problem is when I boot the next day, I can turn the computer off and on all day long and everything still works great. The next day when I boot the system Goes into the fasttrack IDE search and the screen fills with dots... The next thing it says it can't find the boot rom??? Then what I have to do is shut it off wait for 15 seconds and turn it back on and it seems to boot past this section then go to the raid config and then start up. I still think I have something setup wrong as I have been told it should boot up alot faster then this.. Thanks

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Oh man, that's another new one! It sounds like the SATA drives are not always being recognized by the PC. Are they strapped correctly?

Which mobo ports have you attached these drives to: the Promise SATA_RAID1 & 2 ports, or the Southbridge SATA_1 & 2?

And please tell us what your BIOS version is. Any doubts on how to find that, please see Asus P4P800/P4C800 Series: How to Update BIOS.

-clintfan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply Clintfan and the bois version is 1011. They are hooked up to the SATARAID ports. I never tried them on the other ports, could this be the problem??? I believe they are strapped properly. I have the HDD's hooked up using the two small cables and one to each SATARAID connections The only thing I have on the IDE ports are the DVD's and they are the only things that show up in the bois if this means anything. Otherwise when it's going everything seems fine...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just noticed this morning an error pops up for a couple of seconds saying that my array is off line. During the boot when the raid config comes up showing the drive setup it shows that the array is off line. Then I shut the power off wait 15 seconds then turn the power back on then I get a (functional) display where it did say off line... Then after that It seems to work fine. I can turn the computer off and on all day long and it still works fine, not sure of the time duration between boots when this error will occur.

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
It sounds like some part on your mobo might be heat-sensitive. Once it warms up, things are great. But let it cool overnight, and it won't work right away. Does that about size it up?

Or it could be some bug in the BIOS --either Promise or Asus-- which prevents things from working on the first powerup of the day. Who knows?

I guess have a few ideas or questions...

1. Are you sure the 1011 you applied, is the correct BIOS for your mobo? Many Asus mobo names sound the same, but their BIOS's are all different.

2. To address the BIOS-bug thing you could try backdating the mobo BIOS to the previous version 1010, which would give you an older Promise BIOS too. You would need to reapply all customizations and probably re-add your array (you won't need to reformat).

3. You didn't mention your power supply model. If the supply is underpowered it might be stuggling to spin your drives up the first time of the day.

4. You could move your array to the Southbridge SATA1/SATA2 ports to get away from the Promise RAID altogether.

Let me know how

·
Registered
376 Posts
Moving to the Intel SATA for your RAID would be much better since you don't have to go through the PCI bus like the Promise does. Setting up RAID on the Intel SATA would also allow you to use the IAAR. You'd have better performance and stability on the Intel RAID.

What are your BIOS settings for the Promise array?
What is your boot order?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.