Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
im new here so if i leave anything out im sorry just ask and ill let you know :)

Basically my old motherboard was shorted out by a bent usb pin. the back panal with ps/2 and usb ports didnt work but i could run the pc with a usb mouse from the front usb slots.

i then decided to get a new motherbaord asap to get the pc running again - i brought a MSI km4m with a 2600 athlon processor for cheap until i save money for a new dual core system.

Stupidly i didnt even think to check that my hdd (Maxtor 6y160m0) was SATA 1.0 and this motherboard has only ide drives.

So i got a SATA to IDE convertor connected it up, and the HDD is recognised.

When the power is turned on the screen gets to "Detecting IDE drives" then lists the drive. (the only one i have connected) After this the PC freezes.

I have searched and seen other posts about similar problems but it seems that they generally get stopped before the list of drives comes up. with my problem its one step past the "detecting IDE drives" when they are listed.

I have swapped the SATA cable to no avail.

Any ideas - i hope the HDD isnt dead, the reason i think its not is because it ran fine on the old motherboard :-S

Thanks any input will be most welcomed.
Scott

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
If you changed motherboards and put an old drive in it, you will run in to exactly what you are seeing. Your rig is looking for the old motherboard (that information is what is on that drive) because you have the old chipset drivers on there and not the ones from this new board.

You will need to do a repair install of the OS and then add SP2 and the chipset drivers back. Click HERE for instructions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate, just tryed this and it dosent give me a option to do a fresh install? still gets stuck before the cd boots. any ideas?

and how do i re install the chipset drivers? :)

Thanks again
Scott

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
You don't need a fresh install.....make sure your boot order in the bios setup menu is set to:

CDRom-1st
Floppy-2nd
Hard Drive - 3rd

While there, make sure your hard drive priority has the drive you are wanting to fix listed first.

Don't forget to save before you exit.

Then, put in the OS disk and start it....when it gets to the menu, select REPAIR Install and away it should go. (Note: This way you don't lose your data, but with a fresh install, you lose all)

The chipset drivers are on the motherboard disk, so the new motherboard you got should have a CDRom....after you do the repair install, then put them in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
ok just double checked the boot sequence and thehdd prority - put the disc in a turned it on - still the same frozen problem :-(

is it possible the CD drive isnt being recognised? anyway for me to check?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just noticd the Ribbon cable connecting the HDD was loose, the HDD is being recognised now but still no loading of the CD :-S any ideas? :)
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Left the "detecting IDE drives" screen for a while and the message "Primary HDD failed" appreared

so i just tryed the HDD in another computer and it works fine as a slave, im currently backing up my files.

i guess that means its not the HDD thats faulty?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Sorry, have been gone most of the day. First of all, do back up everything and then download the utility from the drive manufacturer and test the drive against that utility. Post back with results.

If that does not get the thing going, then you may have to a complete format and install or try to anyway.

BTW, have you looked in the bios setup menu to make sure that raid is disabled on this board....might have something to do with this searching.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cant see a option to remove raid? is this something only sata motherboards have?

and im not too sure which diagnostic i need any chance of pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.