Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dell inspiron 5100 laptop on which i have installed linux and i am dual booting it with windows xp pro. I used partition magic and got through all the nonsense of it making my ntfs partition hidden, and then both worked just fine, and i was using GRUB as a bootloader. I have a wealth of music on my ntfs partition (quiet down, i own the cd's, they're only there for convenience) which i wanted to be able to access with red hat 9. Thinking this would be simple, is used partition magic to resize my ntfs partition to make ~3 gigs of fat32, about 20 of ntfs, and left my linux partitions as they were totalling somewhere between 5-10 gb. I told partition magic to place the fat32 partition at the end of all the partitions on the disk (because that's what they recommended), so my disk partitions look like this:

[(DELL DIAGNOSTICS FAT16)(C: NTFS)(EXT BOOT)(EXT /)(EXT SWAP Linux Swap)(Music FAT32)]

... i think. They looked the same before the change, only minus the Music Fat32 partition. And they were in different spots on the disk.

Anyway, i reboot per Partition Magic procedure, tell GRUB to go into windows XP, Partition Magic does, well, its magic, and then it proceeds to reboot. Now, when the system gets past the bios check, all it does is print the word "GRUB" on the screen and hangs there.

I'm thinking because the partitions were all moved around when i created the new one, the system is looking for GRUB in a place that it shouldn't... I also think possibly that if i can get a windows repair disk off of any of my friends with XP pro, because i dont know where mine flew off to, I can get into partition magic 8 and tell it to boot the linux partition the next time the system reboots, of course i will have to tell linux to make the ntfs system visible again but at least i will have access to my computer!

Can anyone tell me if I'm close/if this will work?

·
Registered
336 Posts
not sure if I'm understanding everything...but...if you use the PM emergency boot disks to access PM, can you set XP ACTIVE and reboot to XP?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.