12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately my computer has been acting wierd and it has been switching from

using my GeForce 7300 GS DDR2 256m video card to using my onboard 6100

GS i fixed it once before by reseting the bios. So i reset the bios to try and

get it back to my 7300 and now when i turn it on it will act like its

starting up but after about 8 seconds(during this time i get no video on my

monitor) it just shuts down and the LED in front just blinks on and off. Ive

tried everything i can think of and it still isnt working....save me....

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Please list your full system specs.
Make sure the cpu fan is pluged in and spinning
Make sure the computer is cear of dust

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am really not sure.. but i do know it is a a AMD athlon 64 3200+ my motherboard says its a • K8NGM2-L (GeForce 6100 + nForce 410)
[Onboard 10/100 LAN]im pretty sure thats right. The CPU fan is running and it is pretty clean

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
look at the label on the side of the power supply and post the details
is the onboard disabled in the bios

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered a LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK ATX12V 550Watts Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors. Do you think this will do the trick, and do you think my PS was the reason i was having issues with my Video card in the first place?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
I don't know anything about that brand but at least its more wattage than your last, I have to agree with dai in that you were lucky the computer ran at all with only a 300w. Most likely it was stressed to the max causing it to fail, lets hope it didn't damage anything else but theres no way of knowing till the new one comes in.

Good luck and keep us posted

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Are you getting a post screen?
Can you enter bios?
Make sure the cpu fan is pluged in and spinning you could have knocked it loose when swaping in the psu, if its shutting down after 8 seconds it could be overheating. Make sure the heatsink is tight

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Its a LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK ATX12V 550Watts Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors. I tightened the heat sink and now it doesnt shut off after 8 sec but, i get no video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know anything about that brand but at least its more wattage than your last, I have to agree with dai in that you were lucky the computer ran at all with only a 300w. Most likely it was stressed to the max causing it to fail, lets hope it didn't damage anything else but theres no way of knowing till the new one comes in.

Good luck and keep us posted
What else could it have damaged

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Could have damaged the mobo,cpu, ram for now I would remove all add in cards except video and all the drives just to see if it will post or beep.

If that don't work remove the ram and power on and tell us if the board beeps, make sure you have a case speaker connected when you do this.

Seeing as the heatsink was loose you should also remove and inspect the cpu, look for burt edges or black marks, this would indicate the cpu is toast.
Anytime a heatsink is loose and breaks the thermal paste you should clean and reapply any way.

Use 90% or better isopropyl alcohol to clean the old thermal paste from the heatsink and cpu the apply artic silver according to the directions on there website.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.