Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm a bit young, so please bear with my problem. I've become more and more computer literate than my parents have, but I've come across a problem I can't solve.

When I start my computer, it seems normal. The Dell logo is displayed, but before the Windows XP loading screen appears (like it normally does) I recieve an error message. On a black screen, not the blue screen of death (yet). It reads:

We apologize for the inconvienience, but Windows did not start succesfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Manually.

Then I recieve five choices, which are the following:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Now, I selected Start Windows Normally. I did and the XP loading screen appeared but in the middle of it, the blue screen of death flashes a message. Unfortunately, it's only flashed. It dissappears to quickly for me to comprehend what it says. Then the computer restarts, and the Dell logo is displayed and the message appears again. Multiple times, I have tried each option, but the outcome is the same. I can't enter Windows.

Note:
The day before, I accidentally turned the power off before it could actually shut down completely (I normally take good care of my computer).

If anyone could help, please do. I would be grateful.

And if you're wondering, I'm using a laptop with wireless internet to send this message across.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, but I'm still not reaching safe mode yet. I've held on to the F8 button, but I get a message saying something about a keyboard error. Then when I let go, it brings me to the same message once again.

Thanks for trying to help keymaker.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings

do you have a spare keyboard to try first?

is it a usb?
otherwise:
do you have your windows xp disk?
if so, try to boot with the disk in the rom
you have to change your boot order in bios, which is reached by tapping delete as she first boots up.
post back

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
don't hold the f8 key down,tap it quickly as it is going through the post screens and it should bring up the options menu
safe mode is one of the options but try
last known good configuration first
if that does not have the desired affect of fixing the problem,reboot back to the options and see if it will start in safe mode
if it does go into the control panel/system/advanced/startup and recovery settings
and untick the auto reboot
then restart normally and it will freeze on the the bsod error message,write it down and then post it in full

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.