Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this website, but hopefully I can explain my problem.
I recently built a desktop computer (a week ago) and it has been working fine until today when I tried booting it up. When i started the computer, the DVD drive started buzzing in a series of buzzes evenly spaced apart, (once every 2 seconds), and at the same time the screen had no incoming signal. It happens most of the time, but sometimes I can start the machine.

Statistics:
500w PSU
Nvidia GeForce 8600 512mb
2gb DDR2 RAM
160gb internal HDD
Sony DVD+-R 20X (model: DRU-190A)
motherboard: M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ 2.8GHz socket AM2 65W Dual-Core processor
I have the computer connected to an HDTV via an s-video cable.

I would greatly appreciate any help from someone that has any advice. Please ask any questions regarding my computer or the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
does it boot if you disconnect the power to the drive
what model 8600 video card
I have not opened the case yet but I will disconnect the drive next time this happens, Actually the longer I leave the computer off, it seems to be at less risk of failing to boot; this is why i cant get it to happen yet, because it has been off all night.

The video card model is: pv-t84j-yajg it was made by XFX

PS: I think the video card isn't working when the disc drive is causing problems because it has not yet turned on because it is waiting for the disc drive for some reason. Normally, the video card displays DOS immediately when I turn it on.

actually I realized this is probably the error:

• 1 Long, then 3 Short Beeps: Video error
Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen.
Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

But for some odd reason it causes my DVD drive to buzz

I unplugged the DVD drive and it was not buzzing anymore but the computer still does not start and after a while the computer error speaker beeped one long time and three short times. I have a feeling my video card is malfunctioning.

PS: the computer still functions from time to time.

Ok... This is very frustrating, I removed the video card and it still happens, the error beeps come after the dvd drive buzzes the first time though instead of after some time. I am going to use the process of elimination now starting next with the hard drive. if this doesn't work, than my motherboard is probably fried or my CPU. I am thinking of returning these working parts and spending my money on something else now since all my parts are only a week old and still in warranty.

uhh this sucks... I removed everything from the motherboard except the CPU, cpu fan, and power supply, and of course I left the power switch plugged in, same error beeps.... so I should assume my motherboard or cpu is fried? nothing else could possibly be the problem.... and why would the computer actually work flawlessly sometimes sometimes and yet almost always not work?....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.