Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my computer broke down randomly and I've been trying to fix it since. First, it does not detect my CD drive (even though it opens and closes perfectly) so I cannot boot from the set up disk, which I have. I have tried making a boot-able USB using RMPrepUSB and formatting my usb drive and transferring the files through the software. I tried booting the USB, but it said that NTLDR is missing.
Then, I added the NTLDR and the NTDETECT files. It said that the boot.ini file had an error so I tried making a boot.ini file specifically for Windows XP Professional. Now it says that the hal.dll is missing or corrupted.

So, I think the problem is is that the boot.ini is trying to boot from the corrupted hard disk and not the usb files. If so, can I edit the boot.ini file so that it boots to the set-up application on the USB? Please help!

·
Registered
41,107 Posts
Boot into Setup (Bios) find the Boot Order. Here make your CD rom drive First Boot Device. Boot off of the XP CD. You should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From CD. If this fails, make sure your XP Disc is bootable, (try it on another computer) If it still won't go, then Go back and rebuild your USB Flash Drive using Win To Flash. copy your XP Disc to it. Go back to the Bios/Boot Order and if you have the option to Boot From USB make that the First Boot Device, and put your Flash Drive in and restart your computer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.