Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have attached an additional hard drive to my computer. Both have winME on them. Is there any way that I can alternate and choose which drive (C or D) is used when I boot the computer. I do not want a "dual-boot", just the capability to choose without changing plugs internally.
Thanks for any/all comments and suggestions!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Unfortunately you can't in your situation. You can only boot from the master drive that is set on the Primary controller. Any other drive is set as a slave drive which cannot be set to boot from.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is possible to boot from either drive,until recently when I messed up
on my computer, I could by seting the BIOS at startup to either C or D
I could start from either drive.
I am unable to give instructions as I did not set this up myself.
however I could enquire if needed

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The only possability would be go into the bios and change the boot order each time you wanted to switch. The only requirment is they both have to be bootable.I do not understand why you would want to dual boot the same OS, Usualy Dual boot is for 2 differant OS's. :4-dontkno

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
you can indeed boot from either drive...errmmm, assuming a dual boot system using Me is similar to using a dual boot XP system...my last internet box (which is being retired as we speak here) had a dual boot system with C:\ being on the master, and D:\ being slaved on the same IDE ribbon...no biggy...

the only real issue I am aware of with slave drives is getting a temperature reading...apparently it is impossible to get a temp reading from a slave on the secondary IDE channel

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clonwebman said:
It is possible to boot from either drive,until recently when I messed up
on my computer, I could by seting the BIOS at startup to either C or D
I could start from either drive.
I am unable to give instructions as I did not set this up myself.
however I could enquire if needed
Thanks clonwebman.. I would appreciate further info on how this was set up if you could check it out for me..
Thanks again.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oldmn said:
The only possability would be go into the bios and change the boot order each time you wanted to switch. The only requirment is they both have to be bootable.I do not understand why you would want to dual boot the same OS, Usualy Dual boot is for 2 differant OS's. :4-dontkno
Thanks for the response oldmn. I am headed in the direction of putting XP on the slave drive; there are some things I need to do with the info I have on the drive before I format it though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank You to All for the responses... I will hold off a few more days and await the other response from clonwebman.. :4-dontkno

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
I don't really understand your problem with doing a dual boot system...I do a dual boot sys using XP on my DAWs (digital audio workstations) and there is no problem..

the only thing to realize is that the second OS you install is the first choice on the dual boot menu of what OS you want to boot into, and actually this would be a much easier route to take than having to go into the bios and manually set the boot device..

I'm not sure, but I think that one could go into the boot.ini file and actually change the names of the OS's as they appear on the 'choice' screen, which would make it far easier to remember what OS you actually want to boot into (e.g. 'gaming' for one boot, 'business' for the other)..maybe some guru will see this and either verify this thought, or shoot it down...I haven't gotten in the mood to remember to experiment with this thought as of yet...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, CLONWEBMAN says for me not to hold my breath waiting on him to respond so I will venture on (mabbe).
I have two hard drives attached now; one as a master and one on the slave portion of the same ribbon. The slave has its jumpers positioned to slave. I have never ventured into the bios except to change the first boot from floppy to cdrom so I am very uncomfortable messing with it. I did take a look at it though and I have the following options:
FLOPPY, ATAPI CDROM, ARMD-FDD, ARMD-HDD, IDE-HDD,
MBA UNDI (Bus 000 Slot 00) and DISABLED. Could someone tell me what order to put these in?? Both have bootable WIN ME on them. I would like to boot from the slave temporarily and install WinXP on it; then occasionaly boot to the master and use WinME. Any/all comments would be appreciated!

·
retired
1,966 Posts
there is a way to make a boot floppy that boots to windows on the slave drive without setting up a dual boot system but the problem with booting me on a slave d: drive if it was originally installed on primary C: is any pointers explicitly referencing C: will go to c drive (which you didn't want to use) to access or save that data-not what you want it to do at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to boot from the slave temporarily and install WinXP on it; then occasionaly boot to the master and use WinME.
You do realize that when you install xp on the slave drive with me on the master drive you will have a dual boot system since xp will add it to it's boot menu.

xp is not an upgrade so you will lose the me on the slave drive.

to install xp set your bios boot order as: floppy, cdrom, ide-hdd save and exit, put the xp cd in the cdrom drive and restart the computer, if message to press a key to start from cd then press key, you will be given choice where to install so select d: and format it so you have a clean install. when finished you will have a dual boot system with me and xp.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx stu computer. One question; you say when i install xp I will lose ME. Then you say I will have a dual boot with XP and ME? Will ME still be installed on Drive C??
Sorry to be such a dumbaxx but this is a little confusing to me and I want to be sure I understand what you are telling me before I jump in feet-first. Thanx again!!

·
retired
1,966 Posts
yep, while xp is installing it checks for other versions of windows and adds them to it's boot menu, so the winme you have on drive c will still be there but you will be using xp's boot menu to select which os you want to start...
1. windows xp
2. windows me

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
if you install XP on the slave as you wish, this is what will happen...

a dual boot system will be created, with XP as the last OS installed being the first choice of the menu that will be created for you to choose from...XP can easily reside on the slave drive (my last sys was configured that way), and since it is being properly installed after an older OS, it will basically become your primary OS from the way windoze sees things...

you will of course want to format the drive before you install XP as upgrading an OS is fraught with possible conflicts, hence you will loose the ME install on that drive...

so, what you need to do is backup and data on the drive (simply moving it across to the other OS's drive would be the easiest), reformat, and do a clean install, and enjoy the knowledge that at the very least, you have a chance at fixing things you screwed up by simply booting into another OS and being able to remotely go into the other and repairing it..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx a million folks, AND AWAY I GO!! :sayyes:
I will make a post when I complete the task -- if I am still in the computer business :grin:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HELP! Well, I began the move but I didn't get very far before backing out... :laugh: The first option it gave me was deleting one of two partitions (IDE 0 or IDE 1) there was no mention as to which one is Drive C and which one is Drive D! I started to choose the smallest size partition to delete, based on the fact that Drive D is the smallest; then panic set in and I decided to back out of the installation and plea for help from you folks again. How do I determine C and D by looking at IDE-0 and IDE-1?? :4-dontkno
Thank you for a quick response...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wellllll, I knew if anything COULD go wrong -- it WOULD; and it DID! :sayno: Initially I had problems getting it to format the slave disc; I finally just opened the case, switched the ribbon connections and jumpers, then proceeded to fdisk what was then Drive C. All went well and winXP installed! (Hoorah for me huh?). I then switched the ribbon and jumpers back to their original master/slave settings and rebooted, walah---no drive D anymore and it booted back to winME! Both discs show up in the boot process, and in system, but there is no drive letter assigned to one IDE drive... :4-dontkno The only thing I did that I was not totally certain of was use the NTSC file format when I formatted the drive and partioned it (instead of FAT32); I was not sure of which for XP and it defaulted to NTSC so I used it. Should I have used FAT32?? XP installed ok and works, I just can't get back into that disk without changing the ribbon connections and jumpers...and when I do this, I have no access to winME on the other disc... Any idea as to what I did wrong?? Any way correct it?? I apologize for my ignorance and for being a pest but I am at a loss right now. Thanx AGAIN!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Here's a solution:

Buy a removable drive bay and an extra caddy (see here). This way, you can just swap the drives when you want to boot to the other one.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
usaf_ret said:
Wellllll, All went well and winXP installed! (Hoorah for me huh?). I then switched the ribbon and jumpers back to their original master/slave settings and rebooted, walah---no drive D anymore and it booted back to winME!
I believe this is because the ME system is unable to manage or even read a NTFS file system. The only way to circumvent that would be to have partitioned and formatted as FAT32. Then you could read the XP files.

edit: After leaving this page, I thought "boot manager". So I did a quick google, and this was near the top. It appears to be free, and just what the doc ordered for you. You still will have the issue that ME will not read the XP partition with it being NTFS. The only thing you can do with that is re-partition and re-format the XP drive as FAT32, and re-install if you feel that you have to be able to read XP from ME.

edit again: forgot the link.. http://www.osloader.com/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.