Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is weird... never seen anything like it:

The computer i'm working with will constantly reset itself, until finally it boots.

Specs:
AMD AthlonXP 3000+ (333mhz)
Chaintech 7NJL6 Motheboard running @ FSB 166mhz
512MB Ultra PC3200 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 (second hand-has caused me problems in the past)
Seagate 80GB HDD 7200rpm, 8mb cache
Raptor Switching PSU model:LC-B400ATX (could this be part of the problem?)

The way the computer resets itself is strange-it will reset possible 2-3 times a second for a good 5 minutes, and then the intervals become more like 10-15 seconds, untill it finally boots and gives me the BIOS screen. However, it shows only
Main Processor: AMD AthlonXP 3000+

it doesn't proceed any farther with IDE detection or mem.

Depending, the computer will be fine once the windows load screen appears, but other times it will continue to reset untill finally you login for the 2nd or possibly third time.

I thought maybe this could be due to a video card problem, i am using ATI tray tools to Underclock the card to 200:200, however i havn't got around to modifying the VGA BIOS yet. It is underclocked because at 277:270 it would freeze everytime i would load a game.

My other idea was that my PSU was defective-I don't know how or why.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
running v1.26-i couldn't be bothered to make a 3.2 disk. Would this make much of a difference? hasn't found anything yet, but it's only on the first pass at 60%

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no errors on the 3.0 memtest either

well the cpu is fine-no bent pins whatsoever, however it seems like the thermal greese has dried out already, which is weird because i assembled this computer about two months ago, maybe a bit more.

otherwise the heatsink is on right to my best knowledge

I'm going to wipe off the greese and put on a different kind, i had been using manhatten silver based. I still have the original greese which came with the cpu and i'll try putting that on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might add that the computer is custom built by me and the PSU, RAM, CPU, MOBO, HDD and all fans are still under warrenty.

so don't hesitate to tell me somethings broke.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got enough power, unless the power supply is faulty.

seems to be the processor, but i can't be sure. There are no burn marks and the thing is only 2 months old. Unfortunetly i don't have another socket A CPU to test it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im the closest thing there is to a local comp shop...

well i'll see what i can do, i don't have any swappable parts at the moment but i'll try and see if i can get some or find some shop that will test it. I think your right, the cpu is messed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PS is probably the issue

I have the same issue adn called Chanitech. The Raptor PS is not compatible with the board as it is missing -5v lead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.