Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I am running with an ASUS Pro31 Series and Windows XP Pro. In trying to fix a problem with Microsoft Outlooks, I was frequently rebooting my computer (trying to access the SAFE MODE boot menu) and it has now permanently failed to boot and has the following error on screen:

"Missing Operating System"

I have tried but cannot seem to access the menu where you can select to reboot in "Safe Mode" etc. I can only access the BIOS SETUP UTILITY using F2 and the BIOS RAM EASY FLASH UTILITY using F4.

Using the recovery DVD I got as far as the three options:
- Recover Windows XP to first partition
- Recover Windows XP to entire HD
- Recover Windows XP to entire HD with 2 partitions

I stopped there because it is essential that I retrieve the data from the HD. I am not concerned about the laptop, just the data. Yes I am a dumb dumb for not backing all of it up.

This laptop was supplied to me by my employer, so I am not sure how many partiotions it came with etc. Is it safe to assume that the first partition contains the C: drive data?

Are there any fancy tools I can get my hands on - over the net or otherwise - to try to get it booting normally again?

If not, what options would I have for trying to get the data off the HD?

Also, why does is it that I cannot access the SAFE MODE start up menu?

I will leave it at that for now. Please help folks I really need this data.
Cheers - Rhett in the jungles of Papua New Guinea

·
Registered
382 Posts
Re: Boot Failure: "Missing Operating System" - Need to retrieve data from HD!

It almost sounds like Windows became corrupted. As for data recovery unless I'm mistaken (and I might be) no data is truly lost unless the drive physically fails. I know of one program that should help with data recovery but I'm still learning about this topic.

If you are interested the program is:Recover My Files

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the reply,
I will have a look at that software and keep working at it. One more question: what order should the devices be in for normal booting in the BIOS SETUP UTILITY?
Cheers

·
Registered
382 Posts

The boot order should always be CD/DVD Drive > HD with the OS on it > and then if you have a floppy drive then that should be last. It IS possible to boot from a thumb drive but I have never tried it and I'm not sure how to go about setting that up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.