Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
dearest techies

while at college i managed to acquire a copy of XP Professional. This version is a little different from what i know them to be. i copied it successfully but i can't boot from the cd. i know that the original i copied was a bootable cd but when i copied it, and tried to boot from the copy it didn't work. i'm using nero 6 and burning "on the fly" at 8x with buffer underrun protection. i have successfully copied other bootable cd's using the same process such as Knoppix (another type of linux) so why doesn't this work. this version of xp will upgrade my current home edition but i would like to format and do a clean install (they're the best). could anyone who knows whats wrong please advise. it may be the burn software settings. also the original was a copy to so it is a copyable cd. thanks

ps i also have my boot sequence set to boot from the cd rom first, then the floppy then the hard drive, i'm also running a dual boot system (Red Hat Linux 9 and WinXP Home). i tried the cd in an non dual boot system to no avail so i don't think the dual boot is interfering with the cd

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used an official Windows XP Pro to upgrade my WIN98, it also allows to wipe out WIN98 first and do a clean install.
Of cause this will cost you but at least it's an official licence.
BTW the Academic Upgrades are not that expensive !

gr

·
Registered
266 Posts
•Have you tried to use the copy you made on ANOTHER machine?
•Have you tried to use the original on YOUR machine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.