Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
im having some trouble, my bro wanted me to take out his HD from his old comp (p3 somthing...) and put it in his "new" comp, as the only (master) hard drive, his "new" comp is a p4 2.4g and the hd is a quantom 40g with win 98 on it.
the thing is, after plugging everything in and restarting the comp, i get this "boot disk failure", i went to the bios and the hd is recognised and the first boot is from hd. i thought maybe something is wrong with the hd or smthing but after taking it back to the old comp, it works fine.
i triple checked my connections and tried another ide connector as well...
any idea to what more can i try?

thanx in advance!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

when you remove a hard drive from a computer and move to another machine / the OS finds a completly diff environment / the drivers that were loaded for the old motherboard no longer work so it just wont boot / your going to have to wipe the hard drive (or re-format) and clean install the win 98 OS to your new computer / or you can slave the old drive to the new computer if you are just trying to recover files / but in summary

if you desire to make the old drive the master boot drive / you will need to "clean" install the OS

here is a hard drive wiper (free)
http://dban.sourceforge.net/ <<< download the floppy version

regards

joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10x for the fast reply

i figured it had to be that.... i just really didnt want to it... oh well...

10x again, i really appreciate it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.