Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boot Disk Error

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  one9six 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay,
To make a long story short.I was having some PC problems so I gutted the whole computer.I started over, put every thing back in the case, being sure to plug everything in right, etc.Now when I try to boot up I get the Boot Disk Error.I thought it was my hard drive so I tried two other ones that I have.But none worked.During the boot process it says primary drive or IDE not found(or something like that).I`ve tried to go into the bios and figure it out, but I cant do it.I have a Asus P99 motherboard.Oh by the way all of the hard drives have been wiped clean and have no O.S..And I have tried to boot from the CD rom with an XP disk to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions or questions please let me know!

Thanks,
one9six

#7 ·
Hi,

Let's back up a little. If you have an actual copy of the WinXP disk (not backup copies or reinstall copies)., then it should work this way:

First of all, use only one hard drive and one cd drive for this trial. Put the hard drive on the End of the ribbon cable, with jumpers set to master, and the CDdrive on the middle of the ribbon cable with jumpers set to slave. Then.......

Go into the bios setup menu and set your boot order to:

CDRom
Floppy
Hard Disk

While there, also make sure your PnP (plug and play) area is Disabled if using WinXP OS disk.

Don't forget to save before you exit.

Put the OS disk in the CDRom and let her load.

What happens when you do exactly as listed above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.