Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been using my boyfriends computer which has some problems, which I managed to improve slightly by updating AdAware and installing Spybot and deleting as much crap as I thought I could get away with (his files, nothing originally on the computer). But lately its been running slower and the problems have gotten worse again. The system is continuously restarting itself without any prompting from me. Following this, one of two messages comes up:

"Reboot + select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

or, the blue screen,

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware of software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (oXF78A383B, oXooooooo7, 0X00000001, oXF74EDD51)

sptd.sys - Address F74EDD51 base at F74EC000, Datestamp 4676f56f

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

Other Technical Information (since I've rebooted atleast 25 times in the last two days):

"*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X815369EC, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X815369EC)"

"*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X00000404, 0X00000007, 0X00000000, 0XF74EDB07)

*** sptd.sys - Address F74EDB07 base at F74EC000, Datestamp 4676f56f"

"*** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0X00000002, 0X00000007, 0X00000001, 0XF74F4FA0)

*** sptd.sys - Address F74F4FA0 base at F74EC000, Datestamp 4676f56f"

The computer is a Windows XP Professional. I wasn't sure how to find out much else about the system, all I found was that it's an Intel Inside Pentium 4, ASUS Motherboard, the start up screen says P4P800-VM, and when I go into Startup (by pressing DEL) it says American Megatrends, Version: 08.00.09, Build Date: PPVM1911, AMIBIOS 2003. But I couldn't figure out how to disable BIOS memory options (caching or shadowing). All that came up under Startup with BIOS in the name said: "BIOS-->AML ACPI table" and would only allow me to select "Disable or Enable." I've tried restarting, shutting down and starting up again. Everytime I try to run AdAware, Spybot, or (after thumbing through some seemingly related posts and downloading the following program) MalwareBytes, the system restarts itself and come to the blue screen. Besides that, I don't think anything has been downloaded or installed onto this computer so recently to these problems to be related. Firefox is the only browser used on here, for sometime. I'm not sure what the last SP was that my boyfriend updated. That's all I can think of adding... though, when I started running the MalwareBytes, it was obvious that many things were "infected", some number over 100 at least in the time it had to scan before being shut down. Help please, thanks.

+
It's also been giving me trouble logging into WindowsLive Messenger, saying that my Default Gateway is offline. And it will not allow me to download the newest version of the IM program. (I'm aware this is a troubled computer, but any help is appreciated.)

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
cmos reset
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
reinsert the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

there can be 2 solder points you touch with a screwdriver
2 pins you touch with a screwdriver or use a jumper
a cmos clear switch or button
there will be a diagram and instructions in your manual

check for leaking or swollen capacitors on the m/board

run

chkdsk /r

what are you running