Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using an ATA HD. I recently got an SATA HD. I thought I installed the new drive as the boot and system drive.

I was getting an NTLDR message when I boot. So now when I boot I need to boot from the CD

I looked and saw the the old ATA has the system drive (C:) and the new SATA has the boot drive (D:).

Is there a good way to get those two together on the SATA drive??

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I always recommend that when you put a new install on Sata drives, just to unplug any IDE Hard Drives on the system. Then, when you get it up and running like you want, add the other drive. Please check if you have a new board that you have the Hard Drive Priority and the Boot order both set correctly.

Don't forget to list your system specs with your next post.

Post back with questions/concerns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about not including the system info

Socket 775
P4 3.00 GHz Intel
1 GB DIMM Ram
L1 cache 16 KB
L2 cache 2 MB
250 GB SATA Western Digital HD
200GB ATA Maxtor HD
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
BIOS Version = ASUS P5ND2-SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 0501

I installed the SATA drive and it is working, so is the ATA, There is just a separation between the system drive and the boot drive so I can only boot through the windows xp CD

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If you want the Sata to be the main boot drive and call it drive C:, I would guess you might have to reinstall with the other drive out of the system.

If you don't have data that is important and that was my system and wanted it to work flawlessly, then I would format both drives and install or a clean install on the Sata with the other drive out of the system. You have to choose and when i know exactly what your status is on that, we will try to help.

At any stretch of the imagination, if you (and you do) want your Sata to be drive C:, you would be better off to reinstall the OS with the other drive out. Then, after you get it up and running, you can put the other drive back in the system and use it to retrieve the data if you have important programs on that drive or as a secondary drive. Since your boot drive would be Sata C:, Windows would most likely assign the letter D to the extra drive.

Just make sure when you do these things that you have the Hard Disk Priority and the Boot Order set properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.