Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the dilemma:

I had downloaded a file that had a virus (how do i know; i half-downloaded the file and was effected by it before, and i got rid of it, now i finished downloading the same file and got the same virus, but its much more dangerous).

Now, whenever i boot the computer, it gets to the point when its stops processing information. This is always the black screen with the white arrow cursor between the Windows XP loading bar (after it completes) and the account login screen (the arrow still moves around, but nothing else happens)

When i got the virus (or half-virus) before, all i had to do was switch off then switch on the computer, randomly hit a few buttons (and press enter when the screen said: 'We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows...') and it would load perfectly.

I was wondering, is there any alternative way to boot the computer to get to the login screen (Like, what i've heard of; LAN, Flash Drive, etc) and could you please tell me the exact process and steps to go about it.

P.S. Don't say that the only way is to do a System Recovery, because the entire Recovery and Restore processes on my computer don't work for some reason.

· Registered
879 Posts
Try booting in safe mode. After the POST screen, tap the F8 button until you get a boot menu. It should have Start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking etc. Fire it up in safe mode, see if you get any further. Once you're in, run a full blown anti-virus check, spyware check etc. Once all the nasties are gone, reboot and it should start normally and fully into windows.

Any idea what virus you got?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.