Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother-in-law has a Dell monitor which is blurry to the point where the screen is not legible. I have fooled around with the monitor's settings (although it is difficult to see exactly what is on the screen) but all settings seem correct. Maybe the screen is "fried" or the picture tube has blown??? Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem? I'd appreciate any incite.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's another thing... I think the monitor is only 1-2 years old. I'm surprised it would fry or blow being that new. Thanks for your reply...

·
Superhuman Computer
1,632 Posts
Out of focus monitors usually can be fixed, but not by you. There's a focus control inside the monitor, usually close to the flyback transformer. However, NEVER open up a monitor yourself as they retain huge voltages for a long time even after being unplugged. Some can keep about 30,000 volts in excess of a year after being unplugged. One shock by this can easily be lethal.

If you can't get an RMA, you may want to check in at your local hardware repair shop and get a quote for a repair. It's a simple enough job and may well be cheaper than a complete replacement of the unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.