Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When loading Windows and yet to reach my desktop, I get this error on the blue screen.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems contine, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory optiosn such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000074 (0x000000003, 0x000000002, 0x80088000, 0xc000014c)

I had been running the computer all day yesterday and had no problems. I woke up this morning and turned it on and it counted my RAM and then it froze their. It never said Detecting IDE drives... So I restarted and it got past that but then I got this error message when loading Windows. I installed a scanner which had worked in the past and several basic Software Applications (Winzip, Kazaa). I tried following the blue screen instructions in the message. I disable caching in BIOS memory and shadowing was already disabled. I also tried going into Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration but it would not let me get in, no matter what I keep getting this message when loading Windows.

Now, after I wrote all of this down with pen and pencil to go downstairs and e-mail you, I figured I give it one more try. I powered off the computer and powered on and it get to the second Windows loading screen (it usually froze on the first), this is the screen witht he Windows XP logo and I got a new blue screen error message. It had the same instructions on how to fix it but here is some of the different things I saw:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:

0X0000000A (0xFFBDFC58, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80509120)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
# here

It counted to 100 and then restarted. Also, I noticed this yesterday but it went off the screen too fast to read it and I thought nothing of it because the computer was working. But, I took a closer look and under Detecting IDE drives... and then it lists the drives, it says this:

Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.

Now this could have something to do with the blue screens I am getting and I have gotten these in the past. When I was using Windows 2k, I rememeber my computer would restart for no reason and I would check the log and it said Physical Memory Dump. Also, I had gotten many of those screens when loading Windows in the past but they usually went away when I restarted. Do you have any idea what is wrong?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not an expert in this area, and people, please fell free to walk all over me on this one, because I am pulling this outta my ***. BUt I am just trying to help with all I know like you guys have helped me in the past.

Well, here goes, the first error message, I would suspect you might have set the CPU and/or memory setting sat a higher speed than they were designed to operate at. I got that message when I tried to overclock my FSB to 166MHZ instead of 133MHZ. But you threw that assumption out with your follow up. Anyways, may I suggest just buying a stick of memory from some place where you can get a refund and see if it works if you swap the memory? Because it does sound suspiciously like you have bad mammory.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee:

Primary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed message:

There are two solutions for your problem. First load the set up defaults in the BIOS Setup and your problem would be solved or use an 80-conductor cable connected in the Primary IDE socket on the motherboard with the other end connected to the hard disk. The problem is that you are probably using the old type of cable and that too in secondary IDE channel. Installing the right kind of cable in right socket will solve your problem permanently.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL issue:

The most common reasons for this with the code you supplied is hardware failure: Most commonly one of these components:
RAM / CPU / NIC You said that your RAM count stuck once durring bootup, if you have multiple sticks installed try removing all but one and see if you continue to get the error, keep adding sticks back until you again incounter the error, in an attempt to isolate the problem stick of ram.

The BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO is a common problem while dual booting if you have Win2000 first:

The Windows 2000 bootstrap loader does not know how to load Windows XP.

NOTE: The Windows XP bootstrap loader knows how to load all previous Windows operating systems.

To fix the problem, start the computer in Windows 2000 and copy 2 files from the Windows XP CD-ROM to the root of the system drive. Copy NTLDR and Ntdetect.com from the I386 folder, and replace the ones in the C: root directory.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hey on a side note:

DavidW ....man dont be so hard on yourself.:no:....there are those that contribute but are wrong, but learn

thoes that contribute but are wrong, and think they are right

thoes that contribute and are Right....even if they pull it out thier ***

and then there are thoes that post once and dissapear...your help (input) is welcome...thats what makes this board so cool...as long as you dont have him remove the Hard drve - smash it with a hammer a few times to squash a computer bug youll be alright....

dont laugh the old hard drive they used to tell you to bang it once or twice to get a little more life out of em...or put them in the freezer....that one worked once about three years ago:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
to TheTechIsIn.
Thasnks sooo much, I got my dear ole computer back with copying the XP NTLDR and Ntdetect.com to my base drive after losing it with "BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO".
You certainly saved me lotsa hassle, you ort ter get a Big medal.
Thanks verily.
Godfrey James (new member).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.