Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a friends pc and when the pc would boot it would give her a blue screen and then reboot... horrible cycle! So she tried to get into safe mode which worked until she tried to reinstall Windows. Now the boot still "blue screens" after the "Windows splash screen" (can't read it cuz it flashes so fast). Safe mode won't allow me in because it says you can't complete install in safe mode and auto reboots.

Any help would be great... we're trying to not format, but that is looking like one of the few options left... Thanks!

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
If it allowed you in under SafeMode, its most likely a driver.

You need a debug log that will have the info of the crashes. The STOP errors are usually generic and do not identify a driver on the blue screen specifically. However, there is a chance that they will in some cases.

As advised above by xarglaph, write down all you see when you get the BSoD.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry I wasn't very thorough in my explanation... I've tried each of these things including the pause, but it just keeps going... I'm going to ask her if she wants me to pull everything out (except the vid card) and try that or to just format. If it boots after pulling everything it could be the driver issue right?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
99 Posts
sorry I wasn't very thorough in my explanation... I've tried each of these things including the pause, but it just keeps going... I'm going to ask her if she wants me to pull everything out (except the vid card) and try that or to just format. If it boots after pulling everything it could be the driver issue right?
Thanks for your help!
Yes, you could try booting up in minimal comfig and see what happens there. (but removing hardware will not stop drivers from trying to load).

If you have your Windows CD then you could go into the Recovery Console and edit the boot.ini file and add the /SOS switch or try some of the other switches.

There are a few other things you can do.

The option "Repair" should always pop into your head before "Format" ;)

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
contol panel/system /advanced /system settings
untick the auto reboot box and post the bsod error message in full that the computer freezes on

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok... I've made some progress, but still not out of the woods... I was finally able (after about 30 reboots) to catch the filename that there is a problem with. It's cdr4_xp.sys I found an article about changing the name to cdr4_xp.sys1. When I change it the computer boots normally and resumes the reinstall. However, when it goes to reinstall it cannot see the CD ROM. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I did d/l the driver on my laptop that I'm using now and used a floppy to slip it into the driver spot so it was a fresh copy, but to no avail. I can't get into windows to install nLite. The best I can do is get into a cmd prompt at this point.

I'm considering pulling the second CDROM which is a RW. I'm wondering if it is the problem? and then try to boot it.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Use UBCD, boot from it and scan your system, your harddrive, your memory in DOS. You can also delete this file with it, but you need to know its dir location.

The Cdr4_xp.sys is located in C:\Windows\System32\drivers and can be started/stopped Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program won;t have a visible window. and its not needed to run Windows BUT some malware camouflage themselves as Cdr4_xp.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder.

If its the problem you'll be able to start/stop delete it from Recovery Console with the XP CD.

Still, run those scans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cd

User the xp cd to boot to the recovery console.When you are confronted with the command screen,type 'chkdsk' youwill then be asked to type '/p'.Then type in 'chkdsk /p'.This will detect all errors on the hdd and replace any missin files.Then boot as normal.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blast! It seems as though there are unrecoverable problems!!
Now I'm just trying to figure out a way that I can recover some of my friends files before formatting.

Unless... does anyone know a way to cancel a reinstall of Windows XP when it has reached the "Installing Windows" portion? If I could stop the install I beleive I could at least try a system restore point (which it won't allow me because of the stupid setup and if I hit esc it aborts and says fatal error and reboots).

I'm getting the error that it can't find asms (but it can't even see the cdrom). I press shift+F10 and can get a cmd prompt, and that's how I get to c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Any suggestions before I format? I just hate to see her lose all the songs she has paid for from itunes get deleted since they weren't backed up.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This could go on for a while... here's what I've done. I reinstalled Windows XP Home over the old copy. I now have in my "c:\documents and settings" folder the old profile name and the new profile name. However, when I try to access the old profile name I can't get in it "Access Denied". If I hoover the mouse over it "Folder is EMPTY" appears. I right clicked on C:\ and checked the properties and it still shows that there is 50gigs used. So the info is still here somwhere (and search doesn't find the files). Any suggestions?

I did try the whole slave thing and couldn't get it to work because I'm somewhat limited as far as extra machines and HDs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.