Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this laptop 8/07. It's been back to Gateway and the Geek Squad 3
times and I've reinstalled the operating system myself once. The problem goes away and stays away for a month, maybe 2 if I'm lucky... only to return. The blue screen of death! Apparently there is something with Gateway that isn't compatable with Vista... surprise surprise! My warranty will expire soon and I'll be stuck with a $1200 piece of you know what... does anyone know anything about a problem with Gateways and Vista and how to remedy it? The problem will start by not shutting down all the way. Then it will turn itself on and off all night... sounds a bit spooky, I know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts

Hi jekano. . .

Welcome to the Tech Support Forum - Vista Support!

Let's see if some answers can be provided for you prior to that warranty running out. The infamous Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) usually leaves memory dump files behind. Please get them and send them to me and I will take a look at them to see if a probable cause can be determined.

The memory dump files should be located in c:\windows\minidump\ - the dump files will be named similar to "Mini041008-01.dmp". Get them all - regardless of the number.

Two other items that I would like are: (1) A Belarc Advisor report saved in "mht" format (Top right of Internet Explorer screen; Page; Saved as; save as mht), as a web page (html) or as a Word document. You can download Belarc HERE; (2) A DXDiag report - START | type dxdiag into the Start Search box | right-click on dxdiag.exe | select Run as Administrator | respond to User Access Control prompt. Then save this report as a text file. My results will then be posted here in this thread.

Please refer to my PM as to the location to send these files to.

Please be patient as I have other memory dumps to process. Should you have any questions regarding the aforementioned, please POST again or send me a PM.

Regards. . .

JCGriff2

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.