Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few computers at home and within the last 3 weeks or so one of them has been displaying an error message with the notorious "Blue Screen of death" as it's background.

The computer is running Windows XP Home Edition with all the updates and is scanned every few days using SpyBot Search & Destroy and Adaware SE Personal. I have SpywareBlaster installed and updated daily (if there are any updates) and AVG Antivirus scans daily and it is always updated daily as well.

I have not installed any new hardware on this computer nor have I installed any new software either. Just so ya know, neither has anyone else. If something is put on, or done to this computer, I know about it.

Now for the problem:
This problem has occurred about 3 times while the computer has been on and running for a few hours AND it has also happened once during the bootup and loading of the operating system. (That just happened today).

What happens is this... the computer SOUNDS like it is shutting down. Or to be more specific, it sounds as if one of the cooling fans has quit, just like it sounds when the computer is shutting down. I have ruled this out by removing the case cover and visually inspecting all 3 fans, all of which were operating fine. These fans include the PSU fan, CPU fan, and the fan for the tower. That's all there is in this system. Once this so called "powering-down" sound occurs I receive a message that includes the following (in bold).

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Techical information:
***STOP: 0X000000D1 (0XF6F01F18, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0XF6EAFD90)

A3AB.sys-Address F6F01F18 base at F6E9A000, DATESTAMP 4240dfcc
A3AB.sys-Address F6EAFD90 base at F6E9A000, DATESTAMP 4240dfcc

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete

Another part of this message explains about checking to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. But there were no changes made to the system for about the last 4 months.

So.... anyone care to tackle this one? I would sure appreciate it.

Hopefully I've provided enough info, but if not, then feel free to ask for more and I'll definately supply it. Thanks.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Hi NewTechGuy,

This sometimes occurs when your page file is damaged. See if this helps:

Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Performance, click Settings.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click Change.
Click No paging file. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK.
Restart your computer.
Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Performance, click Settings.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click Change.
Click System managed sized. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK.
Restart your computer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.