Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Roaming To Help
5,678 Posts
I've no idea why but till this day, one of my systems cannot run Windows Updates or it will basically freeze and get BSoD's too. Shutdown will take a painful 30minutes and explorer.exe will probably crash a few times prior. I have it totally disabled and update everything manually myself (get to learn a little about it too) and this way the system works perfectly! I've seen over a few hundred cases of this too. Its obviously conflicting in my PC with a driver/service.

Anyway, as to your case, follow the advice given and let us know what happens subsequently.

· Roaming To Help
5,678 Posts
Also, after that, if it doesn't work out shut down the Windows Update. If it really is just that it will be resolved. Do that by:

Start > Run: type wuaucpl.cpl, hit Enter

Stop it from there.

Then in the runbox like above, type services.msc and hit Enter
Look for Automatic Updates on the right.
Right-click and choose Properties
Put it Start as Manual
Stop the service

Restart the computer.

I have known it to cause some issues in the past year with users and this way you'll be bale to make sure if it really is that or something other.

· Roaming To Help
5,678 Posts
AFAIK thats used to cure errors received when Windows Update is trying to download, because the necessary files are not registered. It shouldn't cause a BSoD though. The 0x8E is linked to hardware, mostly RAM problems.

Still its very worthy of a try.

If after that you turn on Automatic Updates and you still get BSoD's, then try all this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903251

· Roaming To Help
5,678 Posts
I would run windows driver verifier tool to make sure and get some accuracy.

*Close all applications.
*Start>Run> type: verifier.exe and hit Enter
*You're running this Driver Verifier utility for XP which has options shown as HERE
*Create Standard Settings>and choose "Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer"
*Proceed and see what it lists.
*If there's something wrong with a driver causing BSoD's, it'll usually give you another BSoD with the driver name included or show it: i.e. xxxxxx.sys
*Make a note of that.

See how that goes.

· Roaming To Help
5,678 Posts
Sorry about this. :sad: Didn't see it as it had been deleted from my subscriptions during cleanup.

If it rebooted and keeps rebooting it means you have a driver issue. You're OK for now as long as you chose LKGC.

When you get the next BSoD, in order to get details please do the following:

Go to start | search (type in) .dmp
Note the location of your .dmp files.
If there are no .dmp files then Search for: minidump
Remember this location and the path that leads to it.

(OR my way is Goto C:\WINDOWS and then search for Minidump and if it has files in it)

Then:

1) Download and install the Debugging Tool from Microsoft

All you need do is download and install this. Make no attempt to start or run it.

2) Download and install this debugwiz

This is a DOS based batch file that will command the above Microsoft Tools.

3) Open the Wiz & Browse to, or paste in the path to, your .dmp file.

4) After the wiz creates a Text document attach it back to this thread.

let us know how that goes :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.