Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i am new to this forum and i do have a problem with my old computer. I am nog very good with computers, but I tried to explain my problem as clear as possible. Srry for my bad english, im dutch.
I didn’t turn off my computer correctly. I just powered it off. However I already did this some times before and it never damaged my computer.

When my system tries to boot it says: Primary drive 1 not found. Strike the f1 key to continue, F2 To run setup utility.
I click F1 to continue, then I get a black screen with diffrent suggestions The computer is asking me how to start up windows. ;Normal mode, the last mode with the last working settings or in the safe mode.
I have chosen alle different suggestions and when I continue I get the blue screen of death.

The blue screen says: (Translated from Dutch to English by me)There is a problem found. Windows is closed to prevent further damage. When this is the first time you see this screen than restart. When you see this screen again then try to do the following steps.
Deinstall all anti-virussoftware en helpprograms for harddisc defregmentation or turn this programmas of. Check the configuration of your hard disc. Do a check CHKDSK/F to make sure your HDD isnt damaged and then restart your computer.
Technical information:

***STOP: 0x00000024 (and a lot more number)
I cant get pass the blue screen. Doesn’t matter how long i wait.

When I start the computer I click F2 to go to the settings. My setting are as followed:

Intel Pentium 4 Processor: 2.80 GHZ
Dell- Dimension 3000 series
Windows XP
Level 2 Cache: 1MB integrated
Bios Version: A02
Service Tag: GHFCN1J

Installed system memory: 512 MB DDR SDRAM
System Memory Speed: 333 HZ
System Memory channel Mode: Dual
BootSequence: 1.Hard-disk Drive C:
2. IDE CD-Rom Device (both are selected)

Drive Configuration:

Primary Master Drive: Hard drive 160 GB
Primary Slave Drive: Unknown Device
Secondary Master Drive: Cd-Rom device
Secondary Slave Drive: Cd-Rom device
IDE Drive UDMA: OFF

Fast Boot: Off
Os Istall Mode: OFF

Note: I didn’t mention all settings, ask for more information if you need to.

I do not have the XP installation disc anymore.
I hope you guys can help me out.
Thomas

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
These are for if you wish to re-install though. As you are on a working computer, can you connect the non working hard drive to the working computer as a secondary attached drive. Then via My Computer, locate the hard drive and right-click on it Properties>Tools>Error Checking> check both boxes and press start, then reboot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry, I posted that after re-reading the post. You can download the boot disks from Microsoft here. Once you can get into Safe Mode, run a CHKDSK and check both the boxes.
Can I also do this via a usb-stick? I cannot burn cd's with my laptop.(could do it at a friend tomorrow) Could I lent a Xp disc from a friend and use that one? My computer doesn't have a floppy port, so cant do it via that as well.

How do I connect my hard drive from my non working computer to my working computer. Srry im am totally noob at this..

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Use your friends disk if you can, this will be far the easiest way to solve this issue.

The boot disks are for if you wish to do a re-install.

Is the working computer a laptop or desktop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are for if you wish to re-install though. As you are on a working computer, can you connect the non working hard drive to the working computer as a secondary attached drive. Then via My Computer, locate the hard drive and right-click on it Properties>Tools>Error Checking> check both boxes and press start, then reboot.
Use your friends disk if you can, this will be far the easiest way to solve this issue.

The boot disks are for if you wish to do a re-install.

Is the working computer a laptop or desktop?
Ok I will ask my friend for the disc.

My working computer is a Asus Laptop with Windows Vista.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
OK, if you were to go down the connecting the hard drive to the laptop, you would need an enclosure (3.5 Inch IDE or SATA depending on the HDD) for the non-working hard drive. That would enclose the hard drive into a case with a USB connected to it. Then you would just plug the USB into your laptop, and do it that way. I'm assuming it was a HDD from a desktop (3.5") and not another laptop (2.5"). The OS of either HDD won't matter for this operation.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,121 Posts
The Boot Disks that TheGift73 is referring to still require an XP CD. If you can get an XP Disc, boot off of that and get to the Recovery Console here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any errors. If this fails or does not complete or you can't get an XP Disc download the ISO image for Seatools for DOS burn the image with IMGBurn and boot off of the newly created CD and run the HDD diagnostics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys, I managed to get the CD. I runned the chkdsk and it says CHKDSK has found 1 or more errors in the volume.

I am now running chkdsk /R, hope this will work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.