Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*sighs*... well, I went to play Counter-Strike: Source on my now virus/spyware free computer... when guess what?... after playing for somewhere around 1 hour or less, computer stalls then (*power down sound*) then a blue screen pops up... (everything between the quotes...)

"A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mod.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFC4FFF2, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80519DD0)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

I pushed the power button on the tower so the computer would turn all the way off, waited a couple seconds, powered it up, once it got to the Windows loading screen it went blank and began restarting... this is something I have had a problem with in the past when I first started trying to get my bro's old computer to work again (ended up ordering windows xp and just installed that just to start off fresh, cause it just wouldn't boot up all the way). Since this has happened to me before I'm basically thinking... :upset: :upset: :upset: ... So I try safe mode, the lines of text come up (I know that's normal) but after sitting at that screen for a couple minutes, it just restarted... so I try safe mode again only this time it boots in safe mode. I couldn't do much (since I wouldn't know what to do) so I just restarted the computer normally, and (luckily) it powered up. I've also heard a short sound in the tower (sounded like a hard drive when searching for something, but didn't sound normal, kinda abrupt and somewhat louder). I have noticed it do this a few times in the past as well, including once or twice after I just started it up.

I'm guessing it may be something wrong with my hard drive, or maybe my computer just couldn't handle the game (cause it has crashed 2-3 times before this over the span of 1-2 months), and there's also the part where now I have anti-spyware and anti-virus on my computer now... :4-dontkno

Any ideas on how I can test these guesses? or do you think you know what could be wrong?

(this happened last night, I just left the computer on, since I wasn't positive it would start up, so I could at least post this this morning...)

Here's my specs (just copying them off from the SysSpec thing... if you need info from the other sections, or if you need something else, let me know and I'll get it for ya real quick)

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 7.0.5730.11
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
CPU: AMD Duron(tm) processor
CPU Speed: 1595.0 MHz
Sound card: VIA AC'97 Audio (WAVE)
Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
:
Network Adapters: Dynex Wireless G Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: LITEON CD-ROM LTN526S
:
COM Ports: COM1 | COM2
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 2 Button Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 37.3GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 24.8GB
USB Controllers: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
:
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: KM400-8235
:
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 02/26/04 | KM400 - 42302e31
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: KM400-8235
Modem: Not detected

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I don't know exactly what brand the HD is, I have the serial number though... WD-WCAHM1160039, I assume its possible to tell who the manufacturer is from that...?

as for the power supply... you may be right... the last one that was in my computer was fried while trying to get this computer to work again (not the first time, but a second time, and this is the third time, only it's not completely broken right now). I had to put in a power supply from an older computer so I could keep trying to fix the computer (which eventually happened). but I wouldn't think that's the only problem...

I'd like to check the hard drive anyways, so do you know how I could figure out what brand/kinda of HD it is from ^that^ serial number?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, according to the test things, the hd is fine, so i guess it is the power supply. I don't have any other power supplies around, so I will obviously need to buy one then, but well, I would have no idea which kind to get, how powerful or whatever. I also have been thinking about getting a new computer eventually anyways, so would it be a good idea to get a power supply that will handle this system, but also be good enough for a future system so I can just swap it in when I do get a new one? (I have a post somewhere about building a computer that explains the type of computer I'm looking to build). Or is it not a good idea to have a, (I dunno how to word this right), more powerful or better power supply for a not as good machine. Should I just re-direct this question in the power-supply forum thing?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
err, no offense, but it seems like that power supply has been getting some low reviews... you sure that would be a good choice?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I was just offering my suggestion, no offense taken, you can choose what ever one you want. I was just stating that a 450W should be suitable

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright thanks, I'll look into all those different power supplies, and I'm reading that power supply info now. I did the chkdsk /r thing and it said it was being used, it asked if i would like to scedule to check it on next reboot, I selected yes, I'll restart the computer later though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.