Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, great forum.

I got the stop 0x24 error, and I can't get into safe mode or anything.
I was hoping you guys could show me how to diagnose and with some luck maybe fix the problem, or help me get onto my pc through the setup screen. so I can maybe clean it. Dell want nearly 40 euro just for diagnose and more money for further support.
But I lost my job and am broke please help LOL

Cheers guys.
Any help or advice would be awesome

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello 4ntimatter

You will need an XP Installation CD to try to fix this. If you do not have one, try to borrow one just to run this fix.

Configure your PC to boot from CD if it isn't already set up that way. You may need to enter the BIOS to configure the PC to boot from the CD.

Set the boot order to

floppy (if present)

CD/DVDROM

Hard disk

SAVE and EXIT

Start your PC with the XP Setup CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

When the Recovery Console option is offered (Press R to start the Recovery Console), do so. You may be asked which Windows installation to enter, in which case type the number of the Windows installation you wish to work on (usually 1).

When prompted, enter the Administrator's password for that Windows installation. If you did not set a password just press ENTER

At the command prompt, type

chkdsk /r (there is a space before the /)

Enter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dunedin thanks so much for the speedy reply. Before I do this I have a discr that says (already installed on your computer,reinstallation DVD, Microsoft Windows xp media center edition 2005 with update rollup2) I'm really worried this disc could delete all my family photos and work from my documents. Is it safe.

Thanks again mate.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Ithink that will be OK. It sounds like an installation DVD from Dell.

Just keep an eye on things when the setup begins.
You should see first "Press any key to boot from the CD"

Look at this tutorial
It is for a reinstall of XP, but you need to see Figures 1,2, and screen 3 is where you select "R" for the Recovery Console to type the chkdsk command.
Click the pictures to make them bigger

I am sure you will be given the chance to exit if this is not the correct DVD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Dunedin. I put in the disc nothing happened, went to boot menu to start DVD drive and got failed f1 to retry. Should I be changing something in setup. I then remembered I was having trouble with my disc drive it wasn't loading discs for a while. And I would get a (drive letter access) window when desktop loads. I bought a int DVD drive today, turns out I got the wrong one. So is there a way I can fix my DVD drive to get it to read the disc? Sorry for babbling. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got the right DVD drive and the disc started up from the boot menu but I cancelled cause I got worried from reading a few little things saying make sure a repair install is the right option, and something called chris quirks's blog: xp repair install, about don't go online till you update to your previous state, being a bit of noob at this stuff you get worried.
Can anyone put my mind at ease.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
id honestly say the best bet is to run the repair feature with the XP install disk! its one of the few ways you will get your data back! some times tho a repair might not work and you may have to format and reinstall windows! if you have another computer you could put the hard drive in there ( as a secondary) and copy the data off. if you do this i would recommend that when you format you partition your drive ( means splitting it) into 2 halves one for your XP install, the other for your data, so if it happens again you don't loose everything :). but yea always try Repair first. and id recommend backing up your data every few months on an external drive!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Shinobi.

It gave me the option to do a repair install but I chickened out at the last minute to come back here for one more chat to be sure.
last thing I done on my pc was looking at naked people, "but only for art", srsly. I was studying the human figure and I was sick of looking at perfect male and female models, so I was looking for somewhere I could get pictures of normal people like fat skinny ugly handsome w/e. So my GF said try to search for nudests, they're always average people so I was viewing a picture (wouldn't close) and my McAfee came up and said something is trying to make a registry change and I clicked don't allow this change but I still got the stop 0x24 error when I turned my pc back on.

And don't be laughing I really am an artist. (my son said serves you right for looking at naked men)

So is there any perticular actions I should take as soon as I do the repair. (ccleaner) or something?

Thanks again guys. your all life savers!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do have to say that did make me laugh a bit!!! anything related to nakedness usually comes with the risk of a virus! when you get your PC sorted id recommend using a more secure browser like firefox or opera. But don't be scared of repair console! Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
probably the page you visited had viruses for obvious purpose. I think this might be a lethal one as you got some 'registry' message. The virus might have tried hacking your computer for further misuse.
Obviously your computer went down. This is what happens when one visits such sites.
Rather you could have better firewall settings like Zonealarm the next time you use your computer :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed a Firewall and a safer browser would be my recommendation. I personally use the Hardware firewall of my router, I then use either Opera or Mozilla. I use AVG antivirus which updates and scans on startup! In addition I use Spybot Search and destroy as my anti spyware scanner! It also has a feature called "teatimer" that stops any registry change and prompts you for input! however for some people this can be confusing because new software installs/ software removal and updates can change registry files. but it might be worth you looking into. AVG, Opera, Firefox and Spybot are all free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Funny enough I do have spybot I do use firefox and mcafee and I also have safe gaurs. I guess I just didn't use the bloody things enough. Thanks for all the replys, I'm gonna try the repair install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey all again.

I finally fixed my pc with the repair install and recovered everything.
Now I still get the message when my PC starts up (Mc Afee message Something is trying to make reg change allow/don't allow etc, and I always don't allow.
Also now I keep getting daily: windows automatic updates please restart now/later etc
And this error report pops up every 10 mins or something: Microsoft Feeds Synchronization has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I ran Mcafee scans, windows defender scan, spywaregaurd stuff. before going online. Then had to go on to update mcafee etc.

Can I run a Hijackthis scan or something? What do you guys suggest.

Also SpywareGaurd kept saying --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BROWSER HIJACK ALERT - BROWSER PAGE CHANGED
On 14:06:17 01/18/2010 a browser page change was detected.
Registry Location: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\
Value Name: Default_Search_URL
Old Value: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
New Value: http://www.google.com/ie

·
Registered
6 Posts
im guessing that's coming from spybots tea timer, which alerts you of reg changes so for example i you install some software you can allow it but if something comes up randomly you know its probably not good! did you install mC crappy/mcafee recently? if so some programs change reg files after a reboot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.