Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a message on my AVG program that there was a trojan detected on my system... it offered to remove it, if I upgraded my software package at a price. Instead, I scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in hopes that it would find and destroy the problem. I walked away, and instead found out that my system had gone to the Welcome log-in screen and was frozen... so I re-booted. Now, I get this message everytime I re-boot:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk degragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000O24 (0x00190203, 0x8680BEF0, 0xCO000102, 0xO0000000)

My system (Windows XP Media Center Edition) will not get past the blue screen, and I can't load in Safe Mode or any other. I'm worried about the harddrive being corrupt... so I don't know where to make this post, in the harddrive section, in the malware section, or here in the XP section... please advise! I'm posting this from a 2nd (old) computer I luckily had in my closet. I want my PC back!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
usually, at blue screen at boot, I use the windows xp cd, boot from CD, goto the recovery console and type in

"chkdsk /r"

it will check the disk for errors, and repair them.
Ok... I'd definitely like to try that! How do I boot from the CD? I've tried hitting F12 at re-boot for the boot menu, but the "Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive" in the boot device menu says "Selected boot device not available". I've never had to do this before, so any specific instructions would be appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.