Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I activate the blue keys on Windows 10 laptop keyboard? I read somewhere that it's activated by pressing shift, ctrl and fn. But it didn't respond.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
They duplicate what a monitor contains, but of course a laptop screen doesn't have the same controls so it uses the blue keys. The Function key allows their use.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They duplicate what a monitor contains, but of course a laptop screen doesn't have the same controls so it uses the blue keys. The Function key allows their use.
Some of the displays in the blue keys aren't available in the standard keyboard e.g. the figures half, one-quarters or three-quarters and also few currency signs. I suppose 'fn' is the function key. But even if I click on it, the blue keys don't work. So, how do I use some of those symbols in blue?

·
Premium Member
19,742 Posts
Some of the displays in the blue keys aren't available in the standard keyboard e.g. the figures half, one-quarters or three-quarters and also few currency signs. I suppose 'fn' is the function key. But even if I click on it, the blue keys don't work. So, how do I use some of those symbols in blue?
you need to answer the question in the second post. without the laptop info, all we can do is guess. FN keys can be different between laptop and keyboard models.

·
28,099 Posts
Yes, I was speaking for my Vaio laptop. Yours sounds more like extended ascii ƒ α ¥ ╨ and the usual ½ ¼

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I was speaking for my Vaio laptop. Yours sounds more like extended ascii ƒ α ¥ ╨ and the usual ½ ¼
Yes these are the symbols displayed in blue beneath the regular ones. I'm interested in using those fraction numericals. 'Fn' key isn't helping to activate it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't get any user manual. Can't see any key that's blue either. However there are some displays in blue along with some of the standard keys excluding the ones with the numbers 1 to 0. E.g. with the question mark & forward slash key, a display in blue says 'E.' No idea what that means. Along with 'caps lock' key there's a display in blue that says 'verr.maj' which I think is the French translation for cap lock. And few more similar ones. Maybe some of these are meant to help users who don't know much English. But others showing foreign currency signs and fractional numbers are apparently for use for everyone, yet I can't use them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I know it's difficult to figure out without a pic. Unfortunately I don't have the resources of take keyboard image, don't have a cell phone which is generally used for pics. But never mind, just let it be. It's not too important though it would be better if I could use some of those keys.

Just for information, in the following link there's a picture of keyboard on this topic. Keyboard is exactly same as mine. However, I really can't understand the tutorial in this site.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried it immediately ... didn't work 🤨 holding ctrl and alt and pressing fn locks up the other keys. It doesn't type anything.

Also tried pressing num lock and then holding fn to type the blue symbols in the number pad. Again, it locks the number pad. If I release the num lock and try to type with holding ctrl, alt and fn ... it won't type anything. If I release the num lock and only press the fn key, it types the regular white symbols, but not the blue.

This aspect is quite a mystery.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which 2 keys to the right? I held ctrl and alt keys down and then pressed one of the keys 1 to 10. Nothing happened

·
28,099 Posts
You have to change the language selection for the keyboard. It's not worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts