Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. Notebook computer won't recognize floppy drive or hard drive. When started, goes through boot sequence but stops on a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the board,

Got a couple of questions for you:

Are there any beeps?

Are you seeing the HD & Floppy listed on boot-up of the notebook?

What brand & how old is it?

When did the problem start?

Have you added anything to it, (IE modem, NewHD, memory.)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Dell Inspiron 3000. It's not but a couple of years old. I was told that it had a virus and windows would not load. I was getting to the a: and c:. I tried a boot disk, but kept getting an error message of invalid media type on drive c:. A co-worker was working on it prior to me and thinks he partitioned the c:. I really don't want to reformat c: because there is data that I need. Can you help?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:(

If the :gun: co-worker you were talking about re-partitioned your hard drive while trying to fix it then everything on it is lost. :(

You need to use a boot-disk and boot the system off your a drive, then try and go into your C drive and see if anythings there.

If you need a boot-disk go here : http://www.bootdisk.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, reformating really isn't the problem. I would love to be able to about right now, but I still have a problem. I can't even get to my a: or my c:. I can't reformat without those. After the computer boots up and goes through the set up screen, it goes straight to the blank screen. If I put a boot disk in, you can see the light on the floppy light up and hear it turning but only for a second. It won't even go to the a: or read that disk. I have a good boot disk,but the puter won't read it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Is it set in your bios to read drive a? (I'm assuming it is, Iv never run across one thats not...but thought I'd check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Bios is set to read the a: first. But when booted, it goes through the bios then you can see the computer trying to read the a: but for only a second then the blank screen appears.

G

·
In the bios does the A drive read as a 1.44 3 1/2 floppy?

Is there a reset on the bottom of the laptop?

Would you be able to remove all of the batteries?

Dell's website isn't much help to the general public...:confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Check your boot disk, they go bad all the time. If worst comes to worse take out the HD, part. and format on another PC. You could even install the cab files and then put it back in your laptop.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Dell Web support

X( I agree with you there SPEEDO you cant do anything on that site without having purchased a Dell, I tried getting some info from there once before *bust* :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.