Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon getting the blaster worm at work yesterday, my computer has been acting extremely buggy. I called the HP support lines who couldn't help me, so I was told to call Microsoft. Of course, they're so busy they cant even put me on hold. Bastards.

Anyway, I thought I'd come straight to the source I should have come to in the first place. You guys might actually know what you're talking about (And I love you for that!)

I got that dialogue that restarted my computer a few times, and kept the worm from shutting down my computer by aborting it in dos, but when I tried to run the microsoft patch, something froze and i ended up having to restart anyway. Since then, the computer's been ****ed.

Changes I've noted in my system :
Can't connect to the Internet via verizon DSL (something about a DUN or... ****, I didn't write it down.)
Win XP users panel is blank when I load it
Services Dialogue has a weird blue box in the corner, but doesnt load the services list. When I click on the Standard tab at the bottom, it does load a list of services, but I can't get into the properties.
Norton Antivirus, when loaded, says everything is "refreshing."

I'm sure there are more, but this is what has been driving me insane in the past couple of hours.

My favorite nerd at work was tossing around the idea that this may be because the RPC is disassociated with a hardware profile and that's why nothing's working, but I can't even get into the properties dialogue to fix that.

I might just end up slapping the HD in my home computer and backing everything up before formatting it and reinstalling EVERYTHING but I really want to avoid that. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Symantec has a removal tool available here

Hope this helps

·
Registered
58 Posts
I Second That ~~

I think our problems are almost identical, and a removal of MSBLAST by method of the aforementioned removal tool didn't do anything for me...

Reinstalling XP over my current XP seems to be a temporary fix, but randomly I lose all hardware in the device manager (see attached) and it prevents me from fully logging in (again, see attached... only one file associates to any user/system/etc)

Can't find any fix of this and am about to just do a minimal backup (unless someone wants to buy me a huge flash drive ^_^) of 2 out of 20 Gig...

Bleh... no one seems to know jack... in 3 days, msblast went from minimal->medium->serious and for **** good reason...

Bleh bleh and bleh again...

For those who have read the first and this post, what is stated is this:

The worm MSBLAST (win32.downloader etc etc) has caused system instability in mine and danielle's systems (and probably many, many more).

Hardware accessability, by the OS, has been reduced to a erratic state, often times ending in complete system innopporability (inability to access simple properties menus, system menu from right clicking My Computer, editing tools, etc).

This leaves those of us that have used certain methods (often times simply a certain order, not method itself) have compromised our own computers.

I myself am permanently without sound, and randomly locked out of my hardware with a simultaneous "error" in my ethernet drivers so that I am no longer even assigned an IP.

I am uncertain, as she has not posted a response yet, if the fix tool has helped danielle, but all previous advice given has done nothing for myself, and her problem sounds almost identical to mine, and if not, only in slight variation. My Norton AntiVirus does nothing but lock up my system, it won't load in any way, and says it doesn't have files needed to run properly...

Additionaly, many of the anti virus websites do not fully understand the worm itself. It took me 3 days of registry deleting, system scans, and XP reinstalls to finally get rid of MSBLAST... TrendMicro has classified it as a HIGH RISK virus, with a very high destructive potential... its a contagion, not a virus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
err, the attachment doesn't want to post... technical difficulties apparently...

-Edit-
Free web hosting sucks... I'm workin on it... nothing is working on any place I try and post, all good old red X.

If you would like to see the image, contact me VIA Email (header "BUGGY") or AIM (YewwowDuck)

I am usually around, and if not, will get back to you...

If you would like to host the image for soul purpose of displaying it on the page, let me know, I have tried many methods to no avail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope. the fix didnt work for me... it didnt find it on my computer. maybe we have a variant? im having the same problems as you. i tried using hp's nondestructive system restore and when i tried rebooting, everything associatesd with the old user (documents, settings, start menu... even the desktop itself) weren't accessible and still aren't. i did a quick fix... by clicking on the recycle bin (only icon on the desktop)and navigating my way to the control panel i *was* able to create a new windows user, and once i restarted and logged in under that name, i was able to access the internet, use programs that didn't require registration info now lost to the confines of all those other inaccessible files, and some other things. hp recordnow won't run for me (out of memory? ***!) so i cant back up my shizzat until i slap it in a tower at home. i still can't get the services panel to load.

who gets off on doing this **** to people?

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Can you boot in safe mode? If so try to do a restore point. If you can do that and boot, then turn off system restore. Remove the virus by going into task manager and look for penis32.exe, root32.exe, msblast.exe, and teekids.exe. Click on them if they are in your processes tab and end the process. Then do a search for those files and delete them. Then reboot the computer and turn system restore back on. After that, run the ms patch again. Make sure you are not on the internet or you have the XP firewall protection on the adapter that you are connected to the internet with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, as far as i know, we (me anyway) dont have a virus.

I've done multiple scans from TrendMicro, Norton, McAffee, and a few generic brands with the latest patterns, no files found... nothing in the registry...

Only thing we have is an utterly compromised system.. well mostly...

I think the new user thing danielle's got going is a workaround, but i'm not THAT locked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those exact things happened to me. Restore points didnt work, even in safe mode. I still was able to acces my laptop from another comp on my home network though. So I just transfered everything i wanted to save and then formated and reinstalled. I know its not a fix everyone wants to do, but it worked for me. I was just happy to get my laptop back!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those exact things happened to me. Restore points didnt work, even in safe mode. I still was able to acces my laptop from another comp on my home network though. So I just transfered everything i wanted to save and then formated and reinstalled. I know its not a fix everyone wants to do, but it worked for me. I was just happy to get my laptop back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i installed a new burning program since most of the program profiles on my computer were shot, backed up my data, reformatted and reinstalled windows, went to go download the patch.... and i got it again. not even 15 mins online. the real thing that sucks is that i can't find it on the comp (couldn't find it before, either) but I know it's there because i get the rpc messages and some things are ****ed. i patched windows last night. let's hope nothing else happens. i just wonder why it's giving us the same unique problems that antiviral programs haven't come across. is it my hardware or windows config? that makes sense, since thats the only thing this setup has in common with the other setup.... i don't know. this makes me mad. at least everything is operable.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
The worm will continue to cause errors. You need a firewall software enabled. The worm was programmed with two vulnerabilities. It sends them randomly to an ip address. One is for windows 2000 the other for windows xp. Everytime the windows 2000 one hits your machine you can still get the error, just not infected. Enable the firewall protection on the connection you use for the internet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.